• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Latch Rod struggles...

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Got the new bushings today.

From this picture:
http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/DORDIALATCHRODS.JPG

Hooking up the latch rod to the outside door handle, two questions:

1. Does the latch rod really have the "bend" towards the outside of the truck (passenger door) picture like shown above?

2. If so, my right angle at the top faces the other way. Which hole/direction should the rod hook into the handle? If the bend is towards the outside of the passenger door I have to put the rod in the middle of the two prongs pointing towards the front of the door to hook it (tough description, I know). Here's a picture of the door handles with the holes I'm referring to:
http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/SDOUTDRHNDLS.JPG

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
1. Yes. It's not obvious in this TBP diagram, but that sleeve wrapped around the rod helps keep the bend from straightening out.

1073-75-77-79-72-74-76-78.jpg

montana68

Loc.
Missoula
I just dealt/am dealing with this issue - I took photos of the interior of my door showing the rods and perhaps they'll be helpful to you? If you would like I can email the photos to you. You can either PM me or list your email in response.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help guys! Looks like some how there was a drivers door rod in the passenger door. I twisted it around and got it to connect and it's all hooked up now.

I tried lubing the latch some, but it is still really tough to open (I can open it but wife's thumbs aren't quite as strong). Not quite sure how to make it easier to press/release?

But at least it will open now...

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
You need to check a few things. Is the door latch hard to open if it is tripped by hand, with the door open? If the handle is still hard to operate, you know its not the door alignment. If the latch opens easily with the door open, then you know you've got to align the door/striker.

My exterior handles were very hard to open. If you really have to push/pull/tweak the rod to fit to the latch, try bending the rods so they naturally sit very close to their clips in the latch. Mine had bent, and weren't pushing straight up/down with the latch mechanism.

edit: it may be worth your effort to find a new/used rod that is the correct side.

I also replaced the "guts" of my new door handles with the "guts" from original handles. I read that this is a common problem w/the aftermarket handles. If you need to do this, use heat to break the original screws free- it took longer to drill & tap a new hole than the rest of the job.

Chad

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Pull the latch and THOROUGHLY wash it with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, whatever it takes to get rid of ALL the old grease. Then shoot in some dry teflon lube, followed by flowable grease.

This shows what each lever & cam does:

The main catch is at the bottom, and the gear teeth synchronize the latch jaws.