• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

door locked, stuck locked

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
locked my doors for 1st time yesterday...passanger side door wont unlock? i changed ignition key and so they dont match door locks, doesnt matter got in thru back and was able to unlock driver sidedoor pulling knob up(lock), but passenger side is stuck, cant unlock.....i removed window crank and screws around door panel, but the handle I have no clue and the panel seems to be staying put, cant find screws in door handle(holes but no screw heads)...any idea how to remove the panel?

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
The inner padded door handle screws in my truck have 11/32" hex heads use a nut driver or 1/4" drive socket and ext. hope that helps.
Jim

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't help you on the panel issue , but I had the same lock issues.

First thing , once the panel is off and you get the door open again , you have to reshape your head so that you can stuff it in the door and get a good look at how the opening and locking mechanisms work and interact with each other.
I had tightened (shortened) the rods that open the doors because The exterior door handles would not work. What I found later was , even though they open slick as snot , once you lock them , you're screwed. There needs to be a touch of "slop" in the rods to allow the lock parts to engage/disengage properly. Once properly adjusted , the doors still open slick as snot and lock/unlock like they are supposed to.

Hope this helps .... or you may have a totally different problem.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
well since my heads the size of a watermelon< stuffing it inside the door not going to work . but yes that is my problem, so I will figure out a way to get to it.....TY

stang67

Loc.
TN
LOL!! now that was funny. Food for thought, my dad has a small 1x2 mirror on a telescoping handle that we use to see in doors and behind motors and trans. hope that helps.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With a light in the large opening, you can see a ton by just looking down through the top window opening too. With the window down all the way you can just put your eyeballs right on top of the door.
Better yet, while you're this far into it, I'd just go ahead and pull the mechanism out and clean the snot out of it. Check for bent or broken levers/plates/springs/compnents and then put it back in.
They get pretty gummed up over the years and this way you don't have to do it all over again sooner than you'd like.

Paul

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You need to get your hand down in there on the latch mechanism and feel for the release button to get it to open. Here is a pic of the latch, there is a secondary release in there that can open the door if it is stuck. Then with the door open take and clean it all up...it might help...it might not, might need to replace it. I believe it is the lever on the bottom left.

Attachments

• img021.jpg
    img021.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
found the release....door opens, but need to work on mechanism, cause if i lock it it stays locked.....cleaning and lube it today, and also checking for broken piece somewhere...TY guys

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IIRC , I put my work light all the way in the bottom of the door , then I could just barely look into the the door at the right angle to see the parts work. I had to work the system a BUNCH of times ....slowly , to finally see what was happening.
This issue and the exterior handles not working pops up here somewhat often.

It has been a few years , i ought to take the panel off and shoot some pics since I didn't have a dig. camera back then. Maybe do a door tech article since I'm outta work right now. :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to have to change the shape of my head too, but the last time, I just broke down and pulled the whole unit out (very easy as it turns out), which let me sit there and really inspect it up close.
Dunked it into some Chemtool carb cleaner and was able to actually see the mechanism at work for the first time. Pretty cool stuff in fact.

Found a slightly bent tab, along with several other minor ussues, that were causing all the grief. Bent a few things back, tweaked a few more, smashed down a few rivet heads that were working loose, re-greased the whole thing with synthetic wheel bearin grease, and viola!!!
Like butta'

Paul

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Is this a newly installed latch or has it been there a while? I had this problem after I painted and reassembled the door. I had used new screws and they were too long and interfered with the latch. Used shorter screws and I was good to go.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Also striker alignment can cause this. When it hangs, try lifting on the door and see if you can unlock it.