• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suck locked door

dedgar

So for some reason my passenger door is stuck and locked. I can’t pull up the lock and key won’t work. It has a little up and down and the key wiggles but won’t unlock? How do I fix this?

Dude 713

If your window is down try rolling it up. If can unlock it then it is your rear window track came loose at the top.

Rightpace

Spray some WD-40 with the straw in between your door gap at the locking cams and even let it run down the rod .slowly Work the lock knob up and down and see if you get lucky that it is just dry inside and binding. I have had it work before in the past. Otherwise you can remove the panel screw in the area closest to the lock and insert the straw in the screw hole and try to soak it down.
Next thing is to take off the panel and soak it from the inside.

Last edited:

armynavy17

Contributor
If my passenger door is locked and someone tries to open it. I can't unlock it again with the key or from the inside. To reset it, there's a little hole in the door panel that I can stick a small flathead screwdriver in and shimmy around to unlock the door. It's on the rear end of the door panel about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the panel if I remember correctly. I'm not with the bronco at the moment otherwise I'd take a picture. It's not much to go off of, but I hope it helps.

PickleJar

Same thing happened to my pontiac. It was a tight job but I had to ease the door panel off and squeeze my hands in to pop the lock up. Would be way easier on an EB with the way the door panels are. I feel your pain dude.

OP
OP
dedgar

dedgar

If my passenger door is locked and someone tries to open it. I can't unlock it again with the key or from the inside. To reset it, there's a little hole in the door panel that I can stick a small flathead screwdriver in and shimmy around to unlock the door. It's on the rear end of the door panel about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the panel if I remember correctly. I'm not with the bronco at the moment otherwise I'd take a picture. It's not much to go off of, but I hope it helps.

I’ll look for that if you get a chance for a pic that will help. Thanks

OP
OP
dedgar

dedgar

We’ll I’ve WD the bejesus out of it and nothing. Now going to try to get the panel off with a seat that won’t move.

OP
OP
dedgar

dedgar

I took the panel off (first time since 1970 by the way. Here's what I'm looking at. The push lock goes up and down, just not all the way up.

When I push in the outside thumb button, it doesn't seem to latch anything and is loose. What do I need to remove to open the door. I saw online about it a bit, but it's to replace the latch and you need to remove screws on the outside of the door that I can't access since it's locked.

SsvNfbZ

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
should be able to manipulate the mech from inside. keep working the lock rod and then use the inner door paddle rod to click bear claw into open.
i'd pull mech out and clean it and relube it with a grease. get it working smoothly in a vise then reinstall.
good time to check all the plastic rod clips as well. they do wear out

OP
OP
dedgar

dedgar

This is awesome! I like the idea of being able to always unlock/open the door from the inside.

That did it! But I think now my outside latch is broken so that might have caused it. Looks like I’ll be taking the whole thing apart now

68Rcodeman

Contributor
Just want to say thank you for the search bar and posts about the door staying locked and not unlocking with the key or the pull knob. I took panel off from inside and even took the latch out. With the latch in my hand it unlocked every time so I lubed it and put it back in but when installing the rods I noticed the inside handle would pull on the latch rod to get the rod attached to the inside pull handle. So I inspected the rod and it is not threaded but it had a big L shape bend in it so I took it out and put it in the vise and flattened the L out of it making it straight and added about an 1/8 inch of length to it making the rod long enough to press in without pulling the latch . Leaving the latch in relaxed position and working every time. Just wanted to add my find in case someone else has this problem.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice work!
With that kind of can-do attitude, there’s not much you won’t be able to do on a bronco.