• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door locks stuck in lock position

agduckhunter

I changed out my exterior door handles for satin black ones today. They look great and work fine, but I must've done something wrong because when I lock the doors, I can't get them to unlock.....neither with the key from outside our pulling the actual lock up from the inside. Its like the loving mechanism/rod is in a bind. The only rod I disconnected was the one attached to the exterior handle....only disconnected it at the handle. BOTH doors are now having this issue. Any ideas???

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you pull up on the lock rod inside does it feel like it’s unlocking normally? Or does it not even move?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All I can think of is that while you were manipulating the latch rod some thing either got bent or misaligned. Kind of strange that it would happen to both however.
The next step might be to remove the black door buttons and see if that releases things.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a door lock mystery before that I never resolved. Mine would lock and unlock just fine, but if the driver door was in the lock position and you tried to open the door (which was locked), then pulled the lock up to un lock it so you could open the door .... it would never open again without taking the door panel off and tripping the striker manually.

It would get me every time while driving my arm would push down on the lock. Then go to get out and it was locked. Pull the lock up and no open. I got creative taking the door panel off a few times while the door was closed.

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
My passenger door was doing something similar. If someone tried to open the door with it locked it would not unlock. I replaced the broken plastic connectors for the lock/handle linkages and greased everything really well. Problem solved.

pfdff1115

Contributor
Bronco Builder
Loc.
Jamestown, IN
This issue happens a lot with new door handles, we reuse the cam mechanism from the original door handle to fix the problem.

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna switch back to chrome handles to see if it's a handle issue. If that doesn't fix it, I'll just go through everything piece by piece.

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Just talked to techie at Tom's and he said these handles a just a little different than oem. Said I should be able to adjust the rod a little on each side and resolve the issue!!! Gonna give it a whirl this afternoon.

mraine

Contributor
Just talked to techie at Tom's and he said these handles a just a little different than oem. Said I should be able to adjust the rod a little on each side and resolve the issue!!! Gonna give it a whirl this afternoon.
I had a similar issue, the new handles and the old handles have a slightly different angle on the hinge pin brackets. I bent mine just a wee bit and that kept it from binding. I wrote up a post on it

mraine

Contributor
I had a similar issue, the new handles and the old handles have a slightly different angle on the hinge pin brackets. I bent mine just a wee bit and that kept it from binding. I wrote up a post on it
Sorry, not the hinge pin brackets, I meant the screw that you you secure the handle with is at a different angle, the fix I used was to bend the hinge pin brackets.

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Props to Toms tech guys. Did what they suggested and they both work better than before!!!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice.. never hurts to call right Glad you got it figured out