• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

door post line up

Hey everyone i have a question. Im removing my door post so i can sand blast the inside replace the hinge plates and patch some rust holes. If i drill some line up hole in the door post and inner fender will i be able to just line up the holes and weld it back in without getting out of wack? I dont want to have any issues with the post being off. Thanks for any input

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what you have going on there but if the post is solid except for the front side, the side opposite where the door bolts onto, I would just cut out the front side and replace the plates then weld back what is needed. Some pics would be nice of what you are doing and want to do this we could give more detaild advice.

Bronchitis

Loc.
Freedom
I'm in the same quandary but I am try to start from scratch with the tub sitting on the ground. I am unsure of the position of the post to the floor pan and windshield frame. I have noting to measure from so I guess I will just tack it up and trail and error. I have a Bronco daily driver and the driver door drags in the back and is horrible to open and shut.

As I go along I will make good notes and post.

OP
OP

the bottom of the post is rotted. I want to remove the post so i can do a good repair and swap out the plates because the bolts broke. also i need to patch a small hole on the inner fender well. I guess my question is how would i get the door post back into its original postion without having to take 10 different measurements. can i just drill line up holes like you would do to fenders and hoods when painting to get back to the orginal spot

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
When I did mine years ago the first thing I did was rebuild the hinges and then replace the body mounts, even thou your post is rotten and you have a broken bolt or two there should be enough there to get the doors squared into the opening,from there you can cut out the back side of the post, repair the bolt plates,patch and then fix the bottom of the door post, rockers.I think the body mounts is a over looked area most people dont think about first.When I did mine the inner fenders, floors and bottom of my door post were shot but I left the door post in place and then replaced all my sheet metel around it using sheet metal screws to reassamble everything making sure the doors fit the opening first before any welding started. Going back to the body mounts I had to use large washers to shim the body with the new body mounts,I guest its like a house if the foundation is sinking, fix that first or its going to be hell getting the door lines nice in the end .