• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dos Broncos. My '66 and '74.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Yeh, I skipped the Miller and looks like we might be buying a Hobart Handler 180.. ;)

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Jeff, what the heck have you gotten yourself into? hahaha

Mike

I dunno. I let some dude talk me into buying his scrap heap. I guess I'm gonna try and turn it into something useable. ;)

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Well, I got my welder in and figured I'd give it a shot.

The tailgate was going to need either a.) a patch panel or b.) rust holes welded over.

I figured if I tried to fill the holes and jacked it up, the answer would be the patch panel so I went to work trying to fill the holes.. My wire feed quit working on me before I could finish. Thank goodness for warranties, it's at the doctor now being fixed.

Before

DSC_2502.jpg

After

DSC_2550.jpg

Before

DSC_2504.jpg

After

DSC_2547.jpg

I was able to spend some time grinding down and while I still have some areas to work on, I think this will work out. I'll snag some pics of it ground down a bit tomorrow, it was getting too dark tonight to take pics..

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Yeh, I can still replace it and will have learned something in the meantime, if it comes to that. I figured, if I messed up, I'd still be replacing it. :)

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Well, I've started getting back onto the Bronco. I've had a lot going on. Changed careers, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway.. I'm starting to get settled in at the new job spot and am having a little bit of time to get back to working on this..

Just curious if you guys had any suggestions on the best way to go about repairing this hole in the dash. The dash is in great shape with the exception of this hole..

The hole..

photo-4.jpg

Entire dash..

photo-3.jpg

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Well, it's been almost a year since I picked up the project and I'm finally getting around to getting back on it..

I've been picking up parts here and there.. Next thing on the list, a Painless wiring harness.

She runs great now, but I want to go ahead and get her out on the street, so we figured a complete rewire was in order. I'm gonna be ordering the kit on Monday.

I'm curious, for those of you who have rewired, should I wait to pull the old stuff out until I get the new kit or just go ahead and start pulling? Since the Painless is laid out like the factory wiring colors, I see no real reason to keep the old stuff in there and I'm going to have some time to work on it tomorrow and thought I'd go ahead and start pulling.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I never knew about those, my 77 has one of those, I thought it was a redneck add on.

I've been told they make the tail lights purple. Was big in the late 60's early 70's.

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
I have done the painless harness on 1 bronco and it turned out very good. On my 66 that I no longer own, I pulled the stock harness out and did some repairs and reinstalled back to factory specs and it also turned out good.

The painless harness will have have stuff you will not need. Not what your plans are for the truck.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It might just make you a little more comfortable leaving the old wires in until you're ready, but it's really not needed.
Besides, the new ones are based on the 71 and later setups, so there are going to be quite a few wires that are not where your old ones were anyway. And sometimes, the 66 wiring was different from all the rest even more.

Might as well get it cleaned up and primped for the new stuff. Lay it out when you get ready, and figure out where you want it to go. Read the instructions a couple of times. First time doesn't always make sense until you've worked on wires a bit more.
In the end though, it'll all work out beautifully.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those thingamajiggy's are "blue dots" and yes, they were way popular in hot rods. You could see them in lots of 30's, 40's and 50's cars, but I'm not sure just when the trend started.

I've even heard some of them referred to as "moon eyes" but I think they may have been mixing up their aftermarket goodies. Maybe there was some crossover somewhere, but for once I'm not quite old enough to have the straight scoop.;)

Paul

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
My 1966 Project..

Well, almost 2 years since I started the thread. I've had a few setbacks, but am finally getting ready to get this thing going.

Took some time today and moved her to her permanent home.

4yta6y6u.jpg

I picked up the Painless wiring harness about a year ago and am hoping to install it soon.

Need to run by AutoZone and get a steering wheel puller so I can finish pulling the dash.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2 Years later and I am still watching! Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. Looking forward to watching your progress.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
2 Years later and I am still watching! Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Thanks.. :)

Our house burnt down back in January and we've been getting caught up from that. Got a new place built with a new shop and this past weekend was the first chance I've had to get her into the garage.

Should be able to start doing a little bit of something to her everyday or so.

The wife wants it in paint by March.. LOL.. We'll see...

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
My 1966 Project..

Nothing earth shattering, but I got the dash pulled.

I'm trying to decide if I want go keep the heater. This will be a warm weather only toy, but there may be a fall night or two where heat on the feet might be nice.

ra9ytasu.jpg