• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Double Din space behind dash

Lon L

Hey guys,
My Bronco is currently in the body shop for frame-off restore and upgrade. One thing I could use guidance on is help from anyone who has a dbl din receiver and vintage air AC installed. How cramped is it? I am curious if there will be adequate room for the hoses for the 4 vents that will be installed in the dash. I will also have the ecm mounted inside through the firewall. I believe it will be high enough to not be a factor.

I am using the BC Broncos dash with 5" inch offset for glove box and stock speedo placement.

Thanks for your input, Glad to be back at this after a few years off.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's tight even without all the changes.
And since this is a restoration, that means new wiring too. So whoever is doing the wiring needs to make sure that they don't take up any additional space in that center-dash area with harness. Which ain't easy to do since everything likes to cross over right there.

I ran into an issue with a single DIN radio because the hole for it was cut too low and the harness (which was already in place, along with the hole) was pushing hard up on the body of the radio.

If you lose the defroster duct completely, that does give you some space. But not wanting to lose defrost capabilities, you'd need to re-design the wheel to start with.
LOTS OF PRE-PLANNING AND MOCKING UP is in the future I'd say.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and it might be easier to just move the whole dash, or at least the center-to-left section towards the driver several inches.
Opens up a whole new can-o-worms, but could ultimately give you the best layout for everything.

Several members have added big screens to the middle of the dash recently. Maybe check out those threads. Seems I don't remember seeing any of the dashes moved outward, so maybe they have systems with most of the brains in the screen unit instead of the in-dash unit.

Paul

OP
OP
L

Lon L

I am really hoping to fit it in the center dash area, but may have to go for a under dash console. I cant really measure and test fit on my Bronco, it is pretty much in pieces.

Thanks for the input thus far. Keep it coming, especially those of you who have gone this route already.

wrenchjockey

Loc.
Morro Bay, CA.
Do you need a CD/DVD player? If not one of those new Digital Music Car stereos in a double din may work. The depth on some of them is only a couple inches.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Not sure what you are after. But, because of space, you might look at the single din players with the flip up screen. Most are 7'' touch screen. The po modified the dash and the area they left for the single din worked out for a flip up screen. Just takes some planning so there is no interference when the screen is open. (cd/dvd/navigation/phone/back up camera/etc.)

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I put in a double DIN and it was a chore with just the defroster tubes. Check it out HERE

The main problem is the panel behind the dash that you have to stay below. My temp control cable is hitting it here:

Il60JUb.jpg

This is the BC Broncos dash but you can see how little room I have between dash controls, the stereo and the upper vent duct. The other side that is just holes did not work and we moved that upper dash control over

58AkDrN.jpg

qFepFLX.jpg

xLzFppO.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Some of the newer double din units don't have a CD player and this makes them much shallower than ones that did.

So a new double din without a CD player may fit really well.

I have BC/VA a/c and am running a single din Alpine with CD. Not too tight, but our friend above mentioned it gets tighter as you go up and that is true....the BC/VA unit will have switches for your a/c that can be mounted in the original location and will take up far less room than the stock heater controls did. But it would still be damn tight unless you get the non- cd unit.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even old school single DIN, particularly retrosound radio, I would use the remote rear end option to give some space to install stuff, as it is with a regular radio, it is darn tight right there stock location with radio, wire harness, and heater stuff.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Custom role cage behind the dash. Will create space behind the dash and if you have shoulder harness seat belts you might be able to reach the dash with your seat belt on. Also look 10 times better not having S bend cage tubes in front of the dash and not right against the A pillar with a huge gap.

OP
OP
L

Lon L

I put in a double DIN and it was a chore with just the defroster tubes. Check it out HERE

The main problem is the panel behind the dash that you have to stay below. My temp control cable is hitting it here:

Il60JUb.jpg

This is the BC Broncos dash but you can see how little room I have between dash controls, the stereo and the upper vent duct. The other side that is just holes did not work and we moved that upper dash control over

58AkDrN.jpg

qFepFLX.jpg

xLzFppO.jpg

First , let me say wow , nice Bronco. Second, This is very helpful info. Thanks so much. I got some great help from Bferrai last night as well. I have mentioned it before, how nice this group is.

Thanks again

OP
OP
L

Lon L

I appreciate the help and tips. They are all important.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been out of the stereo game for too long apparently. Never heard of the modular double din setups.
Here's one installed in a full-size pickup on the last page, post #508 (last post as of today): https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1506698-1974-ford-f250-highboy-4x4-34.html
The face is single-din, attached display is double-din, and the main body is separate.

Needs more pics of the rest of the unit and info too I would say, but since you're out in the thick of things right now you can probably find it all wherever you're shopping.

Paul