• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DOUBLERS?...Spareparts

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ed in the orange Bronco had 35-36's with 4.56 gears and a c-4 and he was doing good in level 3 trails with no problems. I am thinking of building my trail rig with a c-4, 4.56's, and 35-36's.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Ed great guide! I know he did at least one 5 think it was the gorge. Tell me bout your new tranny?

Dan R

Get a C-4 shorty kit used for the Atlas. re-drill a 203 range box, then get the 203 dana 20 adapter from Wild horses. Only ads about 3". Works great.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Get a C-4 shorty kit used for the Atlas. re-drill a 203 range box, then get the 203 dana 20 adapter from Wild horses. Only ads about 3". Works great.

Add some details? Im guessing it eliminates the intermediate housing?

bludorbronc

if you like where you are at now,tire size and gear ratio, then you add bigger tires it will be about the same if you add a doubler. the extra low gear and height of taller tires will about cancel each other out. a freind of mine has a c4,203,20 and it is 1 1/8 inch over stock. to use the doubler the c4 must be rebuilt with a short shaft. that adds to the expense. the gear ratios are 1-1,1.98-1,2.46-1,4.9-1

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I havent checked the Stak thread on Pirate lately but it wasnt that long ago and people were still having problems with them. I'd look into that more before that option was even on my list. Even then I'd still be worried, personally.

I've been very happy with my 4sp Atlas. I have the 10.4 model and although I dont use it much I have used that ratio too. 2.7 is about right for most wheeling and 3.8 for the mor technical sections.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Maybe we should hit the TX gathering @ K2 ;D

i think so as well, i am going to try and make it for sure. my 456's and 35's are low enough for me. but i am not mr. money bags:p;D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
?????????????????????????????????????????????????how

What Mr Skiddy said! ;)

My brother found me a 16' trailer down yonder.. if the guy is still selling May have him pull it up around Turkey day or I'll pick it up in Dec ;)

goneballistic

Loc.
Washington, MO
JW has the cold duck! He got a smoking deal on EBay for it! He hasn't instLled it yet! He just bought some Tera low gear at OCBR and he said he plans on installing all of it at one time! I wouldn't Mind having that same set up!
Nyles, Wild Horses used to sell the adapters for the Cold Duck. There was one for sale on here about a year ago for around $1500. I don't remember where it was for sale though. I'd start with WH, and ask for more info about the setup.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JW has the cold duck! He got a smoking deal on EBay for it! He hasn't instLled it yet! He just bought some Tera low gear at OCBR and he said he plans on installing all of it at one time! I wouldn't Mind having that same set up!

Actually that was the cold duck that was for sale on here about a year or so ago. It was originally for sale by ROADTOAD, the guy I got it from bought it from him. They say it has never been used but appears to have been installed. I talked to the guys from Crawler's Edge this week and currently plan to drop my rig off with them around Christmas time and let them do all the install which will require mods to the exhaust, torque tamer, twin sticks and driveshafts. And a shifter has to be made for cold duck. Working in PA I just don't have the available time to do it myself and still make any progress on Bradlee's rig.

Here are links to first sale and then sale where I got it.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115517&highlight=cold+duck
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119303&highlight=cold+duck

Last edited:

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I just saw this tread this morning, sorry for the late post.

The C6/203/205 doubler is very strong. But also very long....and wide. You have to basically rebuild everything under the Bronco, crossmembers, driveshafts, tranny lines, shifters......but it's cool. I have it all in a 1" longer than stock wheelbase in the rear and 1" in front as well. With the 5 1/2" springs the driveshaft angles get steep quick. I'm using a big Bronco rear DS with a 1330 CV head. It's clearanced to get around 35 deg. before binding. My transfercase is hanging lower than I would like to get it all to work. That's going to be part of my winter project, to get the crossmembers and t-cases up higher in the frame rail. I may have to use a limiting strap in the middle of the rear axle to keep the drop out at the DS down.

I do love the gear choices I have, the single low range is great for the soft stuff and just simply going from one trail to the next.

I have $600 in my adapter and $100 in the NP203. The rest I had or made, so it was a no brainer for me. I didn't have DS or a C4/D20 to begin with, so mine is really kinda built out of "SpareParts."

David

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yea JW you though OH my I gotta winch! in front of him!!! haha

haha...no way was I pulling winch, lol. Took a few minutes but I finally got over that big ass rock that Bulldozer kicked into the middle of the desired line, and your welcome for me providing you a better line, lol.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ed in the orange Bronco had 35-36's with 4.56 gears and a c-4 and he was doing good in level 3 trails with no problems. I am thinking of building my trail rig with a c-4, 4.56's, and 35-36's.

Those would be 37" iroks

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Those would be 37" iroks

Looked through all the swampers, found one that was a 36x12.50x17.....dont rember which one it was? irok maybe a M16...hell ill go look again! like I got anything better to do!!