• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drivetrain ID and crossmember help

kburandt

Loc.
Cypress, TX
I recently acquired an unfinished project and need help help figuring out the drivetrain and getting the right crossmember. I originally understood it to be 4R70W and advance adapter to the Dana 20. However it's not AA's 50-2704E : Ford AODE & 4R70W adapter kit. The casting is RF-F67P-7A040-AA which is a BW1356 transfer case adapter so I'm not sure about the black adapter connecting it to the Dana 20.

The PO fabricated a crossmember (right photo, bottom) which works to hold the transmission (note the offset holes drilled in the crossmember support on left photo) but interferes with the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft.

1) What setup is this and should it work?
2) Can anyone point me to examples of a well-fabricated crossmember? I can rework the existing one but don't want to reinvent things.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-1561.jpg
    IMG-1561.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-1569.jpg
    IMG-1569.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 54

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
That number comes up as a Ford part and yes, for a BW1356 transfer case. That transmission must have come from an F150 or Bronco according to the quick google I did. It looks like whoever put that drivetrain together used the Advance Adapters ZF5 kit. There is a thread somewhere that explains the differences in the kits that will work with a 4r70W. I will see if I can find it.

The upper crossmember in your picture is a factory crossmember that has been modified to work with the 4R70W which is pretty common and should be just fine. The bottom one looks homemade to me. Have you tried bolting up the modified stock crossmember?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Here is the thread I was talking about. I have a post on page 3 that breaks down the different kits. Beware some of the posts in that thread as one poster was confused and posting some incorrect information.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251909

Hope that helps.

Here is search query that should lead to some different threads about crossmembers that other members have come up with. It is a lot to weed through but there should be some good info there.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6561988

OP
OP
K

kburandt

Loc.
Cypress, TX
It looks like whoever put that drivetrain together used the Advance Adapters ZF5 kit. There is a thread somewhere that explains the differences in the kits that will work with a 4r70W. I will see if I can find it.

This helps - thanks. It will take me a bit to read.

The upper crossmember in your picture is a factory crossmember that has been modified to work with the 4R70W which is pretty common and should be just fine. The bottom one looks homemade to me. Have you tried bolting up the modified stock crossmember?

The modified stock doesn't work as the ZF5 kit bolt pattern doesn't match. Also the modified stock crossmember is too wide.

The homemade one fits just fine except it interferes with the double cardan joint. To make it clear the joint I'll need to rework it so it's thinner.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG-1583.jpg
    IMG-1583.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 29

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's a v8 explorer adapter. They used a BW 4404 transfer case but it has a common 6 bolt pattern.