• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drivetrain swap

Crash6

Loc.
Birmingham, Alabama
What parts if any can be used out of a 1993 bronco with the 5.8 motor
I have a 1972 that I want to try to use the drivetrain in

Thanks for the help

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The motor but you will have to make run by a carb or change the fuel injection system
Can use the AOD too with a Dana 20 adapter

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 351 will fit and is a good choice.
The EFI intake on the 351 is a poor choice. Way too tall. But there are ways around it depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Transmission probably won't work. Guessing it is an E4OD, which is a C6 with an overdrive and fully computer controlled. The transmission pan alone is longer than many transmissions. Length is the issue as you run out of rear driveshaft pretty quick. The AOD was never used in a Bronco with a 351. It might even be a C6 if there is no overdrive. Pretty sure the stick shift option died before '93 but if it has one that can be used. Would take a little looking to figure what it would be but it will work.

Assorted odds and ends. Front rotors should be the correct version for a front disk swap, but nothing besides the rotors. The TTB front end is too different to swap knuckles.

Transfer case is too wide to fit the narrow confines of the early frames.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, I would go with a carb setup. if you have a manual tranny you will have to work on the clutch linkage. I don't know, but I would see if the power steering and air conditioning would work. What is in there now? Good luck

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Actually the transfer case could work, if it's a NP205. Not sure what year Ford stopped using them, Dodge was still using them in 93. The 205 is the toughest case, bar none. It is wide, I've got one along with a handful of friends. I think the 205 bolts directly to the C6.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ford quit using the NP205 in '79. You won't find one of those in there unless it was bastardized.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My bad on thinking they might have a AOD trans, as said e4OD were in Broncos