• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

driving few mins ago losing Power steering fluid

trekgurl

So was driving around and noticed when I stopped for breakfast some "fluid" running down the drivers side floorboard and I immediately thought the MC was leaking. Got out and searched the best I could ( I didn't have a light) note to self get adamn light. Looked all over couldn't the source and got back in and drove to the car wash. Then I noticed fluid dripping from left front wheel area and again thought it was a brake line and still nothing. I noticed it had sprayed up on the fender and then thought maybe the power steering and yep it was coming from the steering box, canned ham or the hoses and still with no light I couldn't see it.

I thought I'll call AAA and get it back to my house and they told me I would have to find my own ride home because of covid19 social distancing they would not give me a ride? Why do I have AAA? Right now I don't have a f--kn clue, but being a single woman and that's why I pay them for so I won't get stranded. Note to self , cancel AAA subscription tomorrow morning.

Main thing that worried me was a fire,,hot fluid and hot exhaust don't go together so got my fire extinguisher ready and started the drive home. I think the pump ran dry in about a mile and I had to go about 4-5 miles.

Made it home and looking at it now with a light now I can see the general area the fluid is coming from. Doesn't look to be the reservoir or the hoses attached to the reservoir. It seems to be the hose (or hoses) and or the fittings coming out of the top of the steering box? Do the steering box seals go bad or am I right to think its a loose fitting or bad hose?

Anther question is,,, have I messed up my steering box and or the pump by driving it dry? Its a WH quick ratio.

Last edited:

Jfryjfry

It could literally be leaning from any part of the system so it’s hard to say but the most likely source of the leak is one of the rubber hoses and more likely the pressure hose.
If you hurt anything it is most likely the pump which is cheaper than the box.

Take pictures so we can see what you’re seeing. Examine the hoses carefully. If you can’t tell, clean everything really well (use engine degreaser maybe, or just dish soap or even car wash soap) hose and scrub it all down, fill the system (or at least put some in) and start it. Because it sounds so bad, maybe fill halfway and let run for a few seconds only.

Best to have someone watch while it runs but hopefully it’s enough to ascertain where the leak is coming from.

Bummer about aaa. Never thought about that but that seems to be a significant part of their service that is unavailable.

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

okay,, I keep forgetting I just got me a smart phone,,, (now I'm a dumb person with a smart phone,, :)

I think the last pic is the area that's leaking? Would that right side fitting/ hose be the high pressure side?

thanks

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Brake or power steering won't catch fire unless everything else is already on fire, no worrys there. Yes that fitting appears to be the leak. Must be a return as any leak I have had from power steering usually results in a complimentary engine bay coating of PS fluid.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I would try to tighten the fitting first. With the fluid sitting on top of the nut that would be my first guess it’s possible there is a crack in the line but not likely. Worst case it needs a new line, at least from what I can see on the pics. Good luck

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

my headers are right there though, so its real toasty there. I've already had one fire due to a manual choke and not looking to do that again.

Can a fitting like that just work loose? I suppose it like any machine that vibrates things loosen up. I will try tightening the fitting and I just fill the power steering reservoir up again? Do I have to worry about purging any air? thanks

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Fill it up, start it, turn the wheel lock to lock a few times. It will probably shudder a little. Keep turning until it is smooth. Then check the level again.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I have a stock power steering setup from '76. The nut size is 5/8. The connections are flare nut, meaning no seals or o-rings. Just tighten it up.
The hoses with all crimps where the rubber meets the metal are high pressure. The connections with a hose clamp are low pressure. If a high pressure hose blows you must fix it with another high pressure hose. If a low pressure hose blows you can replace the rubber hose with a quality reinforced section of 3/8 fuel line.
But your leak looks like the flare nut loosened up.
Power steering fluid spraying onto an exhaust pipe will flame up.
I hope you didn't damage the pump on the way home, but there is only one way to find out. Fill it up and see.
One more thing. If the power steering belt only drives the pump, you can remove the belt and drive home. A belt is cheaper then a pump. We have cut belts off many years ago to make it home. You can't do that on a serpentine belt system.
By the way, We are moving to Statesville soon, so if you are out our way I hope you would check in. Good luck

I looked at the Tom's box and from the picture it looks like they use o-rings to seal it. I would try to tighten it up first anyway.

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

One more thing. If the power steering belt only drives the pump, you can remove the belt and drive home. A belt is cheaper then a pump. We have cut belts off many years ago to make it home. You can't do that on a serpentine belt system.
By the way, We are moving to Statesville soon, so if you are out our way I hope you would check in. Good luck

hmm I didn't think of that...but good idea. I remember that PS set up not cheap and I was hoping I didn't mess something up. I'll rain my wrath down on AAA in the morning,,, hahaha

Statesville is west of me about 2 hrs... I was hoping to get up that way to some bluegrass festivals and to SC 2020 but this year has been a bust. I'm going to Dennis Carpenters sometime this week to check out their sheet metal parts. I was going to call in the morning and see if they were allowing people to come there and buy stuff. etc. Everything is so messed up right now like living in a third world country.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Did AAA say they were bringing a tow truck or a flatbed wrecker? Reason I ask is because my work truck broke down last week (3500 Chevy 4x4 with a service bed). The guy showed up with a flat bed wrecker. He had a mask on and asked if I had one, I did not. He asked me if I would mind riding in my truck on the back of the wrecker. I said no problem! Road about 50 miles like that. I know I have seen families in mini vans and such that were on the back of a flatbed wrecker, no place else for them to ride.
I would be all over them for wanting to leave you to your own as far as a ride goes! Good luck with it, keep us posted if you find something out.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Don't know if this info about AAA will help you any, but a week and a half ago I was travelling from Mesa AZ to Show Low AZ (160 miles) and broke down about 10 miles from my Show Low house. Coil died on me, and that is one of the items I didn't carry a spare on board......till now!

AAA call and they said the same thing to me, they then contacted the driver assigned and said he would allow me to ride...thank goodness as no one was available to pick me up. So I think it is up to the individual driver if they will take you now or not, I was going to try and negotiate with the driver and see if he would let me ride home on the flatbed in my Bronco if it came down to it.

My driver said he wasn't worried about masks even though I offered to wear one. So I got lucky, sorry you didn't.... that is a bummer!

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

Did AAA say they were bringing a tow truck or a flatbed wrecker?

Well it didn't get that far. Right now things are weird... people are weird,, and any sign of trouble I'm going the other way as I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into all this drama. Riding in a cab with with each person having some kind of a mask on for a tow trip seems an acceptable risk, than driving a vehicle that might catch fire and then I'm on the side of the road trying to put it out. But then what the hell do I know,,, :)

Its probably a gray area when riding in a towed vehicle so I guess that's a judgement call on the scene. I could tell from my conversation AAA made it clear I'd have to arrange for my ride home. So I chose put my effort into figuring it out on my own. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about AAA. This seems to be another small example of not assessing a situation and letting common sense prevail. I'm not faulting anyone for feeling anyway they need to feel right now and I just want that same consideration in return.

Know worries though,,, cause me (and alot of other people out here) are getting it done right now,,, figuring it out and side stepping the BS.

Me am Patrick Henry would have been tight as hell,... keep your powder dry boys,,,,,,,, ;D

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

So I found both lines going into my steering box were loose. Just like somebody took a wrench and loosened them. I can see one being loose but both of them at the same time? PS setup was installed my 4wparts over 10k miles ago so I don't that has any bearing. The only I didn't like about the original PS set up were the hoses being so close to the fender I was concerend about a hose rubbing.

I know engines "rock" on the motor mounts during driving etc. I remember hanging a no brakes, hard left turn over a good sized hump about 2-3 days before this started. Is it possible I caused this by some aggressive driving or do I have a hitman after me and he loosened the power steering lines instead of the brake lines.. ;) I suspect those hoses between the power steering unit and the fender have been rubbing causing this? Just wondering out loud..

I could just tighten them,, but I know I'm gonna be bangin it again,,, so I'm gonna change the hoses to braided lines and try and route them differently.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Weird things happen, due to the space constraints they probably never were properly tightened and just took until now to leak. I had an a/c line fall off my 67 GMC over the winter from being loose that I put on over 2 years ago. A/C was still blowing cold last fall, and I drive this truck a lot, I’ve put 40k on this truck in the last 2-1/2 years so things happen.

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

Maybe a different bracket that moves the pump more towards the engine?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...et_Zinc_Clear/Bronco_HD_Delphi_Steering_Pumps

Well I did some checking and this link is the same bracket I have now. Its actually WHs kit 2036. I called WHs and they sent pic etc. It mounts in the same holes as what I have now,

I'm not sure why its so far away from the engine (and close to the fender), It also the pump is so close to the steering box I can't use an fittings to run braided lines,,,,, but I think I've found another solution for a bracket and the saginaw pump that moves it up and in towards the center. I guess that space is left for AC or something? No ac on mine so going mid evil on it as soon as the new bracket comes in. Thanks for sending though.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its actually WHs kit 2036.

Hmm...if it is WH 2036 it would look more like mine, which is the 2039 that I turned into a 2036 by cutting the notches to clearance
the dual return pump. But even with the single return sag pump I had plenty of room to access the lines on the box.
Curious, what bracket did you order?

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

Curious, what bracket did you order?[/QUOTE]

For the current setup....I'd have to dig back through my receipts I purchased a complete power unit kit (upgrade) and that must have been 7-8 years ago maybe more. I fairly certain it came from WHs or Toms as the kit was 14-15 hundred dollars.

For the new setup after I starting searching for ford small block power steering brackets that would put the saginaw pump further inward towards the engine (remember no AC here) and I found this,,,, then decided while I'm in there go with a complete dress up kit , serprentine belts conversion (black) from CVF. Why all this you ask for loose power steering lines,,, my radiator is bad and the water pump is due,,, I'll change all that out, plus remove all the hodge podge, parts, polished stuff and go all black and be done with it. (I'll get the water pump that clocks to the passenger side)

I'm already pumped for EFI (but still running a carb) so no mechanical fuel pump. If you look back at my pic in the begnning of this post you see my steering box sits now and this bracket set up will move it inward directly over top of the oil filter. Thats what I'm after.

Last edited: