• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost all engine power while driving.

brownbm77

Hey All,

I need a little help here. This weekend I was driving my 75 Bronco with a 302 carbureted engine and lost all engine power while driving. I have verified that I am getting fuel to the carburetor, all electrical power is functioning and when I try to start it, all the belts spin but it won’t fire. I let it sit for about two days and when I tried to start it, it fired for about 2 seconds and died. Now when I try to start it I feel a slight rumble/vibration like it wants to start. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Thanks

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you verified that you are getting spark to the plugs? Are you seeing a nice clean shot of fuel from the accelerator pump squirters when you move the throttle? Any idea of the engine mileage?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
Have you verified that you are getting spark to the plugs? Are you seeing a nice clean shot of fuel from the accelerator pump squirters when you move the throttle? Any idea of the engine mileage?
Did you ck. the timing you could have jumped timing good luck.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
spark, timing chain jumped?

same thing happened to my 77 this past weekend. on the side of the freeway, I pulled the cap to check rotor is turning, it was turning but jumpy and not smooth like it should. suspected distributor gear wore out. flat towed it home and pulled out the distributor. gear is good but the gear on roller cam is messed up. Ordered another cam.. a step up on duration due to what's available. taking old cam out today as new one should be here this afternoon.

Last edited:

4xfun

I once had the coil wire slip partially off of the distributor. Same symptoms and an easy fix once I realized what it was. You could have a bad coil wire.. Check you plugs for spark and check your timing. Fuel, air, and spark are the three primary items for ignition.