• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driving in front wheel drive....DOH

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Well with our little snow storm I decided it was Bronco Day....Went out to the shop and went to lock the hubs, WTF,there already locked.No biggie,just a little more wear and less gas mileage. Well I got thinking that when I pull into my shop I reach down and put it in rear low to idle up the curb.Still not a problem,only about 20 feet and the twin stick front is in netural....Wrong!!

For I don't know how long I've been driving in front wheel drive.The rear has been in netural all along.Kind of answers some questions about how it felt when turning tight.

This is hard to admit,but were all family here...Right? I claim the Bozo award today,and maybe tomorrow too.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
You're just making sure everything was properly lubed...right?

I drove home from Nova Scotia to Massachusetts in front only after the rear spline decided to give way on the 101 by Annapolis Royal, NS. Took the boat from Yarmouth to Bangor, but it was still a LOOOONG ride home in front only..

OP
OP
miikee73

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I blew up a rear end in an old Scout back in 1972,before twin sticks,pulled the rear shaft and drove in front until I sold it. I think I Put the Bronco in front wheel a while back to pull up on some ramps.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Nasty shimmy/wheel hop if you try and do a front wheel drive burnout in front of your high school.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
I made it home on a cross country trip with the dront after my primary driveshop dropped off on the highway. Whatever works!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Mike, I'm a little suprised you didn't hear the gears wining. Maybe you need a hearing check?;D
Hey and maybe that's why your car tracks so well on the freeway.;)

OP
OP
miikee73

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Mike, I'm a little suprised you didn't hear the gears wining. Maybe you need a hearing check?;D
Hey and maybe that's why your car tracks so well on the freeway.;)

Gear Wine? that's what glasspacks and a 800 watt amp are for.Just keep an eye in the mirror for falling parts.
I haven't always driven it in front wheel and it has always had good road manners.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
;)
Well with our little snow storm I decided it was Bronco Day....Went out to the shop and went to lock the hubs, WTF,there already locked.No biggie,just a little more wear and less gas mileage. Well I got thinking that when I pull into my shop I reach down and put it in rear low to idle up the curb.Still not a problem,only about 20 feet and the twin stick front is in netural....Wrong!!

For I don't know how long I've been driving in front wheel drive.The rear has been in netural all along.Kind of answers some questions about how it felt when turning tight.

This is hard to admit,but were all family here...Right? I claim the Bozo award today,and maybe tomorrow too.
One day during the Unevent i'll wander over to your camp with a beer and a burger- just for a look to see what diff your using.;):)
SHX

OP
OP
miikee73

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
;)
One day during the Unevent i'll wander over to your camp with a beer and a burger- just for a look to see what diff your using.;):)
SHX
It may of been in front drive since the last unevent,can't remember.
So if you think a beer and a burger is gonna give you rights to check out my driveline...., your right.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
haha, it ain't no thing.. Definitely happens to the best of us. And at least you fessed up ;)

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Your driveline angle must be a lot better than mine. I broke my rear D20 output a few hundred yards into a trail one day. Had to drive back out in front wheel drive for 20 or so miles until I found some semblance of civilization with phone service, cold beverages, etc. That was about all I could stand, front-end vibrated so badly I though I was going to rip my Bronco apart at certain speeds.

OP
OP
miikee73

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I only have a 2.5 lift. Because it drives so well I have no want to lift it anymore. Too many horror stories about I'll handling Broncos.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
I know a few of us that have had to remove what was left of the rear drive shaft ( in the days before twin sticks) and drive out or home in Front wheel drive. Just a little extra insurance with a Bronco

SHX669

Bronco Guru
It may of been in front drive since the last unevent,can't remember.
So if you think a beer and a burger is gonna give you rights to check out my driveline...., your right.
Just for extra incentive how bout I sweeten the pot?
I think I've got it figured out how to bake chocolate chip cookies on the Weber - oh - i'll keep the culls to myself .:)
Shx

OP
OP
miikee73

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Any response that mentions Chocolate, Baked, and pot has my attention.

Amac70

ME
Still snowing on this side of the hill, Took me about 15mins on the highway yesterday doing about 50 and awefully squirly, thought i was sliding all over the place before i reliased i didn't air up after are little wheeling trip. Easy to forget the little things.

OP
OP
miikee73

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Just got back from an errand,I think were starting to ice over in spots. About 35 mph,flat ground and it felt if it wanted to switch ends.I don't think 33x12.50's mud tread are the best for this weather,need some pizza cutters.
Took the wifes Pilot with studless winter tires on it this morning and it was like the roads were clear.Of corse I had to punch it whenever I could,which got my ass chewed. Women just don't understand.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
After our driving mishap yesterday, we ended up just walking to the diner this morning. I was going to drive but my sweetie wouldn't have any part of it.?:?

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It thawed here today some and now it will freeze tonight. Driving to work tomorrow AM is gonna be fun! Be safe yous guys.