• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drum Brakes: get drums off?clean pads..?

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
pulled the wheels off to get new tires. trucks been sitting long time, and it took some force to get the lugs off.

3 of the four drums won't come off by tapping w/ hammer. how do i get these things off (its not the ebrake, or the brakes sticking) w/o damaging anything?

Also, while they are off is there anything i can/should do. brakes are operational and pretty good condition, shoes have little wear. should i scuff up the shoes w/ sand paper, resurface the drums... they aren't bad, but you know EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS W/ 4 WHEEL DRUMS.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The front drums were designed to be removed while still pressed onto the hubs, meaning you need to remove the hub lock-outs and the wheel bearing nuts and pull the hub & drum off the spindle as a single unit. You can do this with or without the wheels still in place.
For stuck rear drums it's usually some rust holding things together. If the hammer doesn't work, heating the drum with your torch usually does.

FNG

Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I would also add to unscrew the self adjusting mechanizim at the bottom of the drum. If you look on the back side, bottom of the drum you will see a small slot 1.5" by 1/4". If you stick a standard screw driver in there and turn clockwise (opposite of normal so watch out) it will reduce the tension on the drum brakes. If the drums are really worn and groved this will make it much easier to get off. If it has been sitting a while pull hard. Don't worry about breaking anything because you are going to want to get new springs and such anyway. Good luck.

OP
OP
Scott M

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
2 further quest.

should i worry about break the drum if it beat on it. should i use a peice of wood and not worry about it.

also, i thought the adjuster had a one-way lock on it, so you couldn't loosen it. and for some reason i recall that the adjuster faced the hole in the backing plate so that it turned up or down, not clockwise.... oh well, i'll check it out tonite when i get.

thanks fellas

70_Steve

Old Guy
bronco069 said:
should i worry about break the drum if it beat on it. should i use a peice of wood and not worry about it.
Yes you can break the brake drum. The drums are cast iron. Very hard but very brittle. I use a rubber mallet, or a plastic faced mallet, when mine need some persuasion. Maybe use a 2 foot length of 2x4 as a persuader, if that's what you've got to work with.

sbingham2

Loc.
Cedar Park, TX
You shouldn't have to beat the rear drums to get them off. Some light tapping around the outer edge should push the drum over the studs. If more force is required, you need to loosen the tension on the pads.

For the front, you're going to need a spindle nut socket, and a socket large enough to fit the wheel bearing nut. The drum and spindle are one unit on the front. It's been a while, but I beleive the Dana 30 and 44 use the same spindle nut socket. I picked one up from a local auto parts store.

OP
OP
Scott M

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
can't get one drum off

loosened the brake shoe adjuster a little. hell, the drum turns easy and no drag on the shoes. both brakes were done not many miles ago. the bronco did sit in a coastal environment for 5+ years (everything is rusty). one side came off easy and there isn't even a groove in the drum that would hol dthe drum on if the shoes were tight. i hit on it alot w/ a 2x4 on the back of the drum and no sign of even a budge. nothing.

i can only assume its rusted onto the flange of the axle shaft. is this possible, and if so, should i just throw a torch (heat, not cutting) on it and hope for the best. b/c it ain't moving.

JAMMER

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Man seriously like skuzzle said heat heat heat. 12.00 propane torch at wally world. Heat right around edge of axle flage, insiide radious of lug stems. Pops off......super easy way. Just did it myself. :)

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
Man I have beat the crap out of a lot of drums, right on the corner, and never broke one. In Indiana drums never come off easy and always require and good smack... or several. ;)