• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dual dana 20's

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'd like to find info or instructions on this also.
I have a bunch of D20s to play with

welndmn

Bronco Guru
as far as I know no instrustions are out there.
but it seems easy, you just need a peice of 6061 to bolt the 2 cases together.
Then get a spare supd shaft, and spare output shaft, weld them together, send them out for heat treating, and your done.
I was going to do this as well because I had extra 20's but losing 6 inches of rear driveshaft changed my mind.
soon as money is there, I will do the WH 203.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Would seem to me that a 4 speed Atlas would be cheaper to install then building up dual D20s and having the custom work done to get them to mate.

Buddy hooked me up with a new T-Case maker that does a 3 speed for <$2K and is supposedly stronger then an Atlas. They had some at the NM Chilie Challenge last month. I wish I had gone. If I can find the link, I'll post it but... I'm thinking... To rebuild a D20 and beef up the output shaft it's gonna cost nearly $1500. Double that for the 2nd case and your over $3K in beefing up 2 D20s plus custom work. Not to mention, new driveshafts regardless of what you do.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
To rebuild a case its about 100 in bearings.
You only need one HD output shaft at 350$ (IIRC)
The plate adpater you make about 50$
Welding and heat treating the "new" shaft to conntect them, 200 ish I would guess.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
welndmn, you don't even need to go that far. (Nor would I ever trust a shaft that was welded together) The trick to the entire setup is to locate the right input shaft. (On my Scout II I found a stock shaft that fit both the input and output with about 2" between them) Once you do then you build an adapter to mate them together, cut the lower section of the front case off, and work through the linkage issues. If I sill had a couple of cases I would probably put it together and figure it out since there seems to be a lot of people wanting it. When I did this on my Scout II I had a friend make the adapter but it really wasn't too complicated. I drew it up and gave him the drawing and what he gave me back a couple days later worked like a charm.

Grunt1058, I don't think it cost me more than $20 when I did this on my Scout II. I considered doing it on my EB as well but I decided that the 203/205 doubler would be a much stronger setup.

Mad, check the input and output splines on the cases and see if the stock input shaft matches them at both ends. If it does then figuring it out from there should be easy. If it doesn't then you either need to find a stock shaft (Maybe from a Jeep D20) that does fit both or need to get one splined. I'm not sure what the Cold Duck setup used for the shaft but if someone can find that out then most of the battle is taken care of.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Coots use to weld them :)
But after heattreating them the strengh is really not an issue any more.
I would not weld it myself, but have a machine shop with a rolling table weld it.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I have a couple D20's laying around in Seattle area if someone wants them to try this. I think they both need a bit of work. They seems to be tough to shift. But they're free!

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I installed a duck a few years ago. Took awhile to get from WH because it's not something they keep on the shelf. The other thing you have to do is cut the front output off of the doubler D20 and seal it up. I don't remember exactly but I think the shaft between the tcases was a single piece. Didn't look welded to me. I think I had almost $2k into it when all was done which included lengthen/shorten driveshafts, 32sp rear output, twin stick, and the duck. It's cool but if I had to do it again, I'd go with a STaK 3sp tcase. If I ever need to take it out, I'll measure the adapter and shaft and post up drawings.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
I have a couple D20's laying around in Seattle area if someone wants them to try this. I think they both need a bit of work. They seems to be tough to shift. But they're free!
Shifters wouldn't be a big issue because they need to be reworked anyway. Maybe one of these trips where we cross paths I can get them and work out the details. I can't imagine it being any harder than it was on my Scout II and I actually got the idea to do it on it from an article read in one of the 4WD rags on the cold duck setup for the EB.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
SaddleUp said:
I actually got the idea to do it on it from an article read in one of the 4WD rags on the cold duck setup for the EB.
Anybody got a copy of this article?

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I should have the article. WH included it with the very poor duck instructions. I'll see if I can dig it up.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I scanned and converted the articles and WH info I found in my files into a .pdf document. It's kinda big, 12mb. I probably should figure out how to shrink the pictures. Anyway, if anyone wants it, I can try emailing it. 11 pages total. A 4 page article by 4Wheel & Offroad dated Dec '98. A 3 page article by 4x4 Performance dated May '97. The last 4 pages are by WH. It's a few pictures and notes.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
gddyap said:
I scanned and converted the articles and WH info I found in my files into a .pdf document. It's kinda big, 12mb. I probably should figure out how to shrink the pictures. Anyway, if anyone wants it, I can try emailing it. 11 pages total. A 4 page article by 4Wheel & Offroad dated Dec '98. A 3 page article by 4x4 Performance dated May '97. The last 4 pages are by WH. It's a few pictures and notes.
Mark@welldonefab.com
I can host it.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
gddyap said:
I shot a PM to you with an email address. Thanks.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I tried to email the .pdf but it bounced back saying I exceeded the allowable attachment size. So instead I added them to a folder on my Yahoo! Photos account. You can find them under the "Cold Duck" folder:

http://photos.yahoo.com/gescober

I can send each picture on a separate email if anyone wants them that way.

EDIT:
I must be computer illiterate or something. I checked the pics I put up on Yahoo and Yahoo must have shrunk them down because you can't read them. I'm sending the .jpegs to SaddleUp. Maybe he can post them up. I tried sending them to welndmn but your mailbox is full.

Last edited: