• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dual exhaust exit questions

mlaird

Loc.
Houston,TX
im currently running without a top and plan to stay that way. right now my dual exhaust exits behind the wheels, but i was thinking about getting some chrome pipes and exiting straight back under the rear bumper. has anyone had problems with smelling exhaust in the cab with the duals exiting straight back or will it not be a problem?

thanks

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have to say that running the exhaust straight out the back of an EB is the number one biggest mistake when it comes to exhaust no no's. .....a search would reveal just how many folks made that mistake and then posted about being gassed out of the cab...LOL. The brick aerodynamics assure that any exhaust tries very hard to fill up that low-pressure 'void' created behind the truck as it travels down the road...even with the exhaust exiting the side, there are still times when it wants to recirculate back inside the truck via the rear.

That said..I'm not sure I've seen anyone post about having duals run out the back of a truck that would never have a top on it..because that is kinda unusual, to say the least.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i recently had my exhaust re-routed under my bumper and have no issue with exhaust fumes. there's a few others with the same basic routing as i have. in fact it's a little quieter now too.

if you're gonna go tips, spend the extra and get stainless. chrome will rust so fast in houston.... i didn't care about bling this time around.

Attachments

• DSCF3357.JPG
    DSCF3357.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF3359.JPG
    DSCF3359.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 155

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Don't do it! Thats a slippery slope IMO.

I started with duals exiting behind the rear wheels, then cut the bends out and dumped it at the rear bumper, then removed that entirely and put in duals that exited in front of the rear tires, then built a 2into1 that exits at the passenger rear.

I wish I would have left it alone. I'm happy with my current setup but after a lot of $$ and frustration I have something thats not necessarily that much better than what I started with. %)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i recently had my exhaust re-routed under my bumper and have no issue with exhaust fumes. there's a few others with the same basic routing as i have. in fact it's a little quieter now too.

if you're gonna go tips, spend the extra and get stainless. chrome will rust so fast in houston.... i didn't care about bling this time around.

That is 'sorta' how the tips on my trail rig exit..but tucked up even higher alongside the frame. Come to think of it...I have not really had any issues with exhaust fumes and I run it topless.... but then again, it's seldom on the street either.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I would have to say that running the exhaust straight out the back of an EB is the number one biggest mistake when it comes to exhaust no no's. .....a search would reveal just how many folks made that mistake and then posted about being gassed out of the cab...LOL. The brick aerodynamics assure that any exhaust tries very hard to fill up that low-pressure 'void' created behind the truck as it travels down the road...even with the exhaust exiting the side, there are still times when it wants to recirculate back inside the truck via the rear...

Yep... made that mistake. Sometimes I have to drive with the rear window open (cargo hanging out over the tail gate). Fumes will get in, no doubt. From what I've read here, exiting out to the side behind the rear wheels is one of the preferred methods.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Good thread. I'm a few days from owning an EB again and one of its immediate needs is new exhaust.

Thanks for the good information.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Don't do it! Thats a slippery slope IMO.

I started with duals exiting behind the rear wheels, then cut the bends out and dumped it at the rear bumper, then removed that entirely and put in duals that exited in front of the rear tires, then built a 2into1 that exits at the passenger rear.

I wish I would have left it alone. I'm happy with my current setup but after a lot of $$ and frustration I have something thats not necessarily that much better than what I started with. %)

dang so your a slow learner too;D
mine exit in front of the rear tires between the springs and body, keeps them from getting smashed. haven't had any problems

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
personallyi hate the look of exhaust pipes sticking out below the trucks.i had the guy run my pipes up on like a 45 degree just after the long tube headers a lil higher then the frame rails and then dump just down on 45s between the rear axle and gas tank and the miter cut on the dumps is level with the bottom of the tank.so looking at it from a far from side or back u cant see mu exhaust and thats with a 5.5 lift and 3" body.i think it gives it a real clean look thats just me tho.but i dont get any exhaust smells what so ever.

74 Bronco Boy

U should put one out each side of the back corners but put them as high as posible so u dont hit them. And also u may smell exhaust though the back. But its not my call.

Alec

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA

Mine's basically like Ben's and I don't have any problem with fumes

Tasty Geezer

my dual exhaust exits out the rear...with the top off i don't really get any fumes, but as soon as that top goes on no matter what rubber seals, tape and sealent i install i still get exhaust in the truck....very frustrating!

will be running out the sides very soon!

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
For what its worth, i have duals out the back end of mine and I have found that regardless of what top i go with (soft top, hard top) I still get the exhaust in the cab. It is mitigated with the soft top when I zip out the side windows and rear window. I am going to change them bad=boys to exit out the side behind the wheels and see if it makes a difference.

MattW

Mine exits on both sides in front of the tires. I have yet to notice any fumes compared to the old rusty stock exhaust. I'm going to run it out behind the rear tires before long to hopefully tone it down a little and also tuck the mufflers up a little higher. I had it installed before I had a welder/learned how to weld, but that's changed now.

photo19.jpg

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
i recently had my exhaust re-routed under my bumper and have no issue with exhaust fumes.

Just because you can't smell fumes doesn't mean carbon monoxide isn't finding its way into your cab (it's odorless).

Exhaust exiting underneath or behind a Bronco is likely to get sucked into the cab, top on or top off. CO poisoning is something that can creep up on you without you even knowing it.

http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
If you dump the exhaust out under the rig anywhere and don't get it out of there it will cause a lot of corossion over time. Think about what it does to your muffler and pipe. I made that mistake with my old Ranger. Caused a lot of rust issues.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
heres mine sorry its dirty

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 59

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I'm getting my exhaust redone on Monday. Having them do dual into Hooker Turbo Mufflers. Would Like to see some more pictures of how you guys have the exhaust exiting. Thanks!