• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff Heim Steer knuckle problem

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I am starting to work on the D44 and I bought the Duff Heim steering package as part of the suspension rebuild. The package comes with 3/4 Heims and the old knuckle were already drilled out for one ton steering but at a larger (just over 7/8) hole. I noticed one of the old heims was a Moog problem solve with what looked to be a reducer sleeve on it. (pictured)

The question I have is whether I should look at sleeving these knuckles somehow, Get new 7/8 heims or new knuckles? The 7/8 holes are even a little larger than 7/8 but just by a fraction as I have some 7/8 to 3/4 dry bearing sleeves I slipped in but they are not tight.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 7:8 knuckle.jpg
    7:8 knuckle.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 78
  • heim sleeve.jpg
    heim sleeve.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 77

MrT

I am doing this right now. I bought Ruffstuff weld washers 7/8 reduce to 3/4 they fit the holes snug so I think they will work great.

It was suggested I weld them on each side so I think they would work for you also.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I am doing this right now. I bought Ruffstuff weld washers 7/8 reduce to 3/4 they fit the holes snug so I think they will work great.

It was suggested I weld them on each side so I think they would work for you also.

Thanks I looked at those. I was curious as to how they work. It looks like they will add to the knuckle height and wont sit flush. Will that be an issue? They are not a through sleeve so would you add them top and bottom or do they make them and inch thick to go all the way through? Are there any pictures of these done on knuckles to use with heims? Good luck with your build.

MrT

I will be using these with heims. They don't sit flush, about like a thick washer. I will put one on top and bottom, they don't quite meet in the middle. I haven't welded them or put the steering together yet I just got mine a couple days ago.
I will say I didn't want these. I ordered a couple sleeves thar ended up being on back order. I posted this on Pirate and several people suggested the weld washers. Now that I have them and popped tgem in the knuckles I think they are probably the best way to go.
Are you running a flat top knickle on the passenger side? Or are you going to run the tie rod under and drag link over? I planned on this but the tie rod sea ms crazy low.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Makes sense. I just ordered some. They are cheap enough so I will give it a try. Tie rod over is the plan. Post up once you complete it if you could and let me know what you think. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you wanted it to meet in the middle, then instead of weld-washers (which I'm a big fan of by the way) you could source a sleeve with a 3/4" inner diameter, hog out the hole to the OD of the sleeve, then weld that in place.
You could use it without welding too I'm sure, for quite awhile. But eventually things like rust and wear from it spinning in the hole would probably make having welded it seem like the better choice.

That said, I don't see a huge problem with the missing center support of the weld-washers. A bolt that size is pretty strong, and the support afforded by the existing short sleeves of the washers would probably be sufficient for most use.
Are you going to be beating on this thing off-road? Or is it a street, or mild off-roading kind of rig?

Paul

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul, i thought about getting dome 1"dom .120 3/4 ID tube but the weld washers will probably do the trick. I ordered those and will go that route. It will not be beaten off road and probably not see a ton of miles so it will most likely live out it life just fine. I appreciate it as always.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Bronco Guru
So the weld washers came in and I didn't like that idea as there was too much looseness and it added to the overall height as well as the added concern of welding these. Went over to my buddy's house and we got to play with his new lathe. We took a piece of stainless stock and cut the inner and outer to get it to fit perfectly. Coated with Loctite green pressed them in and Bam! This was a lot of work but it was fun to do.

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 40
  • knuckle lathe.jpg
    knuckle lathe.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 44

MrT

I like the way you're doing it. I tried ordering pieces like that from Fastenal and they ended up being on backorder. Fortunately my Ruffstuff wasfers are snug in the holes.