• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff's Headers/Exhaust

vap13

Has anybody installed Duff's headers and dual exhaust system? The drivers side header points down at a slight angle and the pipes they sent don't seem to have the right amount of bend to have a straight shot to the mufflers. Anyone have the same problem?
Thanks - Paul

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Paul; the drivers side is the tough one. Are you running any suspension lift on your truck? Those headers require a lift to clear the front driveshaft.
It will be a tight fit by the frame and T-case area. I installed a set of those on my buddies truck the other weekend. The pass side went in easily, but the drivers took a little finagalling. I used the connection at the flange to header to get a little better angle for the pipe to line up with the muffler.
Hope this helps. Steve H. :cool:

OP
OP
V

vap13

Steve, I have a 3" lift with a 351W and AOD. The drivers side header was easier to me because of the AOD, where the passenger side was a real bear trying to clear the trans to get it in. The headers have been installed for a while now but just getting around to the exhaust. Did the drivers side header point down at an angle on your install? If so the pipes they sent don't have the correct bends.
Thanks - Paul

Sharkman

Loc.
Austin, Tx.
I did the same thing you did, headers and pipes. The headers did take some work to get. Now the pipes did not fit, Kind of like JBC pre-bent brake lines, they are pre bent but for what I have no idea. I had to take the truck down to a local muffler shop to get it done. The guy charged me 100.00 bucks and he had to cut and weld some angles to get it to fit. I'll give the headers two thumbs up, the pipes I'd not puchase again. Save your self a headache, and have some one eles do it.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
someone the other day mentioned that the headers don't like to bolt up to edelbrock heads. i had that problem. i had to take a dremel tool and massage a few bolt holes to get them to bolt on.

as far as the exhaust, we had a y pipe made and a 3" exhaust with a magnaflow.

OP
OP
V

vap13

Yes, there is no way the drivers side will fit and the passenger side maybe. I don't know how they can be so far off and be for an EB.
Paul

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have Duff headers and I am happy with them. Very happy with them. The collector pointing down isn't really as bad as it looks. I have NO lift at all and people say the headers were made for Bronco with a lift. It should be harder to make exhaust when you have no lift. I didn't have money for exhaust so I just put a bend in two pipes and bought two mufflers as a temp fix. They tuck up very nicely and I didn't have any trick pipes bent. Maybe these pictures will help you and maybe they won't. Please excuse the dirt and trans leaks :)

Attachments

• exhaust 1.jpg
    exhaust 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 37
  • exhaust 2.jpg
    exhaust 2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
V

vap13

2bad, thanks for the pics, that does help so I can see your headers are at the same angle. I figured I can take the pipes and get more bend put in them, its just that when you buy a kit you would think it would be pretty close to fitting.
Thanks - Paul

doghows72

Bronco Guru
The kit we sell is designed to fit a "bsaic" Bronco 302, 3spd. They come realy close on most other applications like a c-4. With an AOD it will be a very tight fit. :cool:

OP
OP
V

vap13

I was'nt really complaining about the fit of the headers, they were tight as expected but went in fairly easy, I've defintely had worse. It was the bends of the exhaust pipes that I had a problem with. I will say I have bought many items in the past from Duff's and had no problems and when I bought my adapter for the AOD from them they were very helpful with the install, thats why I was surprised with the fit of the pipes.
Thanks for the reply - Paul