• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duffy 4-core Radiator

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Since buying my Duffy 4-core radiator about 3 years ago when I did my 351W swap, I have heard a few things about them not holding up well. I hadn't had any problems with mine...until this week. One of the seams corroded and started taking a leak. This radiator has only had coolant (never straight water) and I am kind of bummed as I think I should get more than 3 years out of a $300 radiator. Only cost me 65 to fix it, but now I will worry about it in the future. Just a heads up for anyone looking at radiators.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I will pay extra money to buy something only once. $100 per year for a radiator is not a deal ... or the level of durability I would expect for $300.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Hey, you got got 3 years out of the Duff's 4 core? I got 3 months before it started leaking under one of the top straps.They must do a 1 psi test before they are sent out.

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
I had mine for 8 years before it started to drip. I like in New England as well. Granted the fins started disappearing after 6 or 7 years.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
<br>I bought a Duffy 4-core radiator 3 years ago and recently had to have one of the seams re-welded by a radiator shop. It also had a seperate pinhole leak. I've always run 50/50 antifreeze & water. If it springs another leak then I'm dumping it for something from another bronco vendor.

OP
OP
74bronc

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=72bronco link=board=5;threadid=13866;start=0#104195 date=1044033612]<br><br>I bought a Duffy 4-core radiator 3 years ago and recently had to have one of the seams re-welded by a radiator shop. It also had a seperate pinhole leak. I've always run 50/50 antifreeze & water. If it springs another leak then I'm dumping it for something from another bronco vendor.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Agreed! I had considered doing the BCB heavy duty radiator right now but I am going to wait and give this one another try. It has been good until now. I just thought I would get more than 3 years out of it before having to even think radiator again. I wasn't trying to flame Duffy's because I have gotten good stuff from them in the past, just stating that I think there are better radiators out there for the same, if not less $.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I got mine a couple of years ago. Run antifreeze and distilled water. When I got it I heard good things about them.<br><br>Currently the radiator shop will no longer warranty the repairs. They are will to credit the repairs so far toward a recore. The last repair finally held. <br><br>I would take it in for a leak on the left tank and they would fix the leak on the right, but not the left. They were assuming that there was only 1 leak. They showed me that the core was too big for the tanks. The edges of the core should be further from the tank seams. causes the core to endplate solder joints to weaken when the tanks are installed.<br><br>But, it does the best job cooling I have ever had in an early Bronco.

OP
OP
74bronc

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Broncobowsher link=board=5;threadid=13866;start=0#104212 date=1044038380]<br><br>I would take it in for a leak on the left tank and they would fix the leak on the right, but not the left. They were assuming that there was only 1 leak. They showed me that the core was too big for the tanks. The edges of the core should be further from the tank seams. causes the core to endplate solder joints to weaken when the tanks are installed.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That is exactly where mine was leaking. Seems like a poorly designed tank/core setup. We'll see how it works this time around. Thanks for the input