• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duraspark with Explorer coil

BanditBronco

Working on a Bronco right now that was a frame/body swap. Basically, a rolling chassis from a "running" Bronco swapped under a Body from a different "running" Bronco. The chassis had a carbed explorer motor in it, so it has all of the explorer front dress. Engine has a Duraspark dizzy in it. I have two duraspark modules, one that was mounted on the body, and one that came in a parts box. Is it possible to run the explorer ignition coil with the duraspark system? It is still mounted on the front dress and no other coils came with the Bronco. Technically it is still a two-wire coil, but I couldn't find anyone that had done it.

Thanks, Bandit

JKH67302

Contributor
Explorers had coil packs, two of them. They were mounted above the cam sync. The Explorer also did not run a conventional dizzy, it has the aforementioned Cam Sync that tells the computer where the cam is in relation to the crank. What you are describing sounds Iike a coil from a normal distributor ran small block. Post a pic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Taking a wild guess. The only coil you have in the parts bin is the Explorer coil packs.
If you want to get the engine running one just one of those coil packs, actually half a coil pack...
I don't see why it couldn't be rigged. Just ground the wasted spark. May have some high RPM issues as the coil will be firing roughly 4x more than originally intended. But should still fire.

Now if you are trying to file the Explorer coil packs, as intended in the Explorer. No way will you ever get that to happen on a duraspark module.

OP
OP
BanditBronco

BanditBronco

Whoops, been doing too much mustang/explorer swapping lately. It's a mustang coil mounted on its stock bracket.