• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dying a softop ?

67ster

Bronco Guru
Has anyboby here dyed a soft top ? My old white Kayline looks like crap on a bright white/blue body . It's still in great shape but the off white has got to go . I know most shops use SEM dye and I have used it before to freshen up an interior , worked great for that but doing a top and doors sounds a bit challenging .

G

g_money

I used vynal dye that comes in a spray can from the auto parts stores. It worked really well. It was black so that may of helped but I was happy when finished.

Galen

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Spray can vinyl "dyes" are just paints designed to adhere to vinyl better than regular paints. Some work alot better than others, but you cannot "dye" vinyl once it is set.

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I had a white visor that was looking pretty nasty once I painted my dask and roll bar. I got some of that black vinal paint from wal mart and it looks real sharp. I also used it in the steering wheel dash cover? and it made it look brand new. I was very happy with the results

OP
OP

67ster

Bronco Guru
Thanks for replies , I was a bit intimidated by the thought of the zippers and vinyl windows but masking tape seems to stick OK to a cleaned vinyl surface so I'm going to give it a go . I think I will build a platform to stretch it over using the top bows and what ever else to hold it as I don't want to try it on the truck. I'll let everyone know how it goes . Thanks again !