• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

E-Brake????

Todoubled

Had thought while looking at browngr5's stereo install. In order to use the kick panels for speaker locations one would have to remove the e brake pedal and move the high beam switch. Relocating the switch is easy enough. As for the e-brake... what if you used the handle set up out of a Early Mustang? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would think that this would give ample clearance to install some speakers in the kick panels. Any input?

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I had to move mine when I installed the cage because the size 13EE's couldn't get between the cage and the E-brake. I used the lever from a Cherokee mounted between the seats. There was a bit of relocating needed underneath to get the thing to work though. IMO the lever is a big improvement over the pedal. I would have used the lever from a Mustang or a Pinto if I could have found one locally.
Have fun, .... Mark

OldSchool53

The lever from an early mustang is more of a pull handle that mounts under the dash. Pull straight toward you to put the brake on, then a quarter turn counter-clockwise to disengage. I was thinking the same thing when I get around to making kick panels. If you do it, post pictures. I think that it will look great.

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
Had thought while looking at browngr5's stereo install. In order to use the kick panels for speaker locations one would have to remove the e brake pedal and move the high beam switch. Relocating the switch is easy enough. As for the e-brake... what if you used the handle set up out of a Early Mustang? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would think that this would give ample clearance to install some speakers in the kick panels. Any input?
I did the early Mustang handle and it works awsome .

OP
OP
T

Todoubled

Hartbronco.... Did you use your stock e-brake cables or did you have to use the one out of the mustang? Glad to see that Im not the only one thinking about this

66broncofan

Contributor
I have wanted to do the same thing!

I have one and wanted to do the same thing any chance of getting a write up and or some pictures. Thanks
I sent you a PM . Send Me Your e-mail and I'll try to send some Pics to you this week .

Darren

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
So when you guy's did the early mustang handle what cable did you use from the handle down underneath?I'am using the 61-63 ford pu,(same idea)e-brake handle that comes out the back thur the firewall,I think I need a longer cable than whats stock,I think mid 80s ford van will work?

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I just purchased the Lokar handbrake kit as I did a fiberglass dash and the original would not be supported enough. I am going to be mounting it parrallel to the vertical area where the gas tank switch originally was. This way it will be out of the way when driving and still very accessible.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Gonna be working on a handbrake conversion myself! I will post pics of what I come up with when I get it mounted up and working. Planning on mounting it next to the driver seat on the floor. Gonna be a little challenging but that is half the fun! ;D

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
Gonna be working on a handbrake conversion myself! I will post pics of what I come up with when I get it mounted up and working. Planning on mounting it next to the driver seat on the floor. Gonna be a little challenging but that is half the fun! ;D
I did mine beside the seat too , it was only a 2 hour install start to finish .PM me your e-mail address and I will shoot you some pics.

OP
OP
T

Todoubled

Hartbronco...Im a little confused now. You mounted a 67 Mustang ebrake handle on the floor? How did that work? Usually they are on the bottom of the dash and pull straight out towards you. If that is indeed what you used I would like to see some pics of how you made it work. Thanks

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
Hartbronco...Im a little confused now. You mounted a 67 Mustang ebrake handle on the floor? How did that work? Usually they are on the bottom of the dash and pull straight out towards you. If that is indeed what you used I would like to see some pics of how you made it work. Thanks
Sorry ....I installed the latter 78 Mustang two handle !! sorry for the confusion .