• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

E4od?

Punisher

Im looking at an E4od but have read not to use this tranny, But I cant find any info why, Can someone tell me why these trannys are undesirable? Are they just to big or is it something else? Could one of these work with some modification or should I just keep looking?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Very long transmision. It fits good in full size 250's but I dont think the bronco is that good of fit. Find a 4R70W, aode, aod. Something like that.

Bax

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
An AOD would be a good choice. It is mechanical shifting and can be built up to withstand just about anything. The E4OD is huge and heavy. All of the newer trannys like E4OD/4R100, AODE/4R70 require some form of electronic control for shifting.

OP
OP
Punisher

Punisher

Since Im extending my wheel base by 8" (5" in back 3" in front) is length still going to be an issue? Is there any other reason to not use this tranny?

Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
www.becontrols.com for more reading.
I have not checked, but I would expect tunnel clearance issues with the E4OD. Quick reference the E4OD has a 20" pan and the 4R70W has 14". With the E4OD you would loose all that nice long driveshaft you just gained by moving the rear axle back. Moving the front axle does nothing to rear driveshaft length unless you find a way to shove the engine forward as well.

OP
OP
Punisher

Punisher

Ok I guess Ill keep looking, I found a guy that has an AOD out of a Bronco so its 4x4 which is good but he wants $300 for it, I could get the e40d for that price with a np205 thats why I was thinking about it, I guess Ill go talk to the guy about the AOD again see if I cant talk him down any.
Again Thanks.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
One more negative, the E40D is one of the most expensive transmissions to rebuild. AOD and C4 parts kits cost about the same. Both can be rebuilt with a Haynes manual and minimum knowledge.