• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Easiest EFI engine swap

yjkinsch

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
My 77 is in need of a engine re build. But I would like to swap it out with a EFI setup. My question is- what engine out of what vecihle and year will be a direct fit. I'm not much of a mechinic. I hear that the radiator needs moved, sometimes the hood will hit the engine. Fan clearance etc.

So is there a swap that will fit without any modifactions?

Plus any links to where someone else has done this without mods. or is it possible.

Thanks,

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
the easiest of all fits is probably to just buy the EFI stuff from an 87-94 Mustang and use your old fully dressed engine and rebuild it. Otherwise the Mustang 5.0s are pretty easy but there are a whole bunch of others like town cars and t-birds and exploerers that work pretty easily too.

I believe a stock mustang 5.0 in full dress will fit under the hood. The truck motors with the truck intake require a lot of body lift and hood mods, so don't get a truck system if you want easy.

Green-Machine

since you have to rebuild your engine you might as well use a newer one from a mustang. But if you decide to use the old engine it will work I did it everything bolts right up and you dont have to do any mods. And make sure you run mass air

Bay0726

Loc.
Woodstock GA
If you use the 95 to 2000 ford explorer 5.0 set up its a direct swap, best if you can find one wrecked for parts so you have everything there.

OP
OP
Y

yjkinsch

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Thanks for the info.

I found a 89 lincoln, and a 87 crown vic. Will either of these work with little to no mods.. These are complete w/ all accessories.

I'll start looking for the models recommended.

OX1

Bronco Guru
The Linc will have the HO engine, the crown vic will not.
It is a significant difference in HP.

OP
OP
Y

yjkinsch

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Will there be any clearance issues with the lincoln motor. I think I read that it is a speed controled computer and a MAF system is a better choice, so right now I'm trying to read about how to convert it to a MAF.

How much trouble is this.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Will there be any clearance issues with the lincoln motor. I think I read that it is a speed controled computer and a MAF system is a better choice, so right now I'm trying to read about how to convert it to a MAF.

speed density is just fine if you are running a basically stock vehicle. I am running an RV cam and headers and mine runs great. SD will be cheaper and if you are staying stock then stay with the system it comes with for now. It will be cheaper you can always convert if needed to Mass Air.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Several different writeups here. For the most part these swaps are all the same as far as fitment. http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Engine/Fuel_Injection/

Lots of kind of misleading info out there. While the motor itself will directly swap its all the little things that dont directly swap. There can be many issues with cooling system, exhuast, front assesories, flywheel/flexplate issues ect. All can be dealt with some require mods some just require new parts. So its not exactly a bolt in swap without modifications. In most cases I'd say that your going to spend at least another $1K on top of the motor on all the little parts to make the swap.
Converting from speed density to mass air is not hard just need the parts Mass air ECM, A MAF and wiring,. There are kits availible to do this but may be spendy compared to just scourcing the parts yourself. Really if your keeping the engine stock you really dont have to convert to mass air but if any mods are planned then mass air is the better choice.

OP
OP
Y

yjkinsch

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Great info guys,
I am going to keep it as stock as possible, I want reliabilty or performance. I have been reading the recommended links. Thet are answering alot of questions and creating others. One mod is the duel tanks and the return fuel lines with new electric pumps. is there a model that does not need this mod or no return lines.

Please keep up the links.
Thanks

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
go with Fast Fuel Injection...its easy,new, and designed to convert old gasers to efi

when its all said and done, you'll have close to 1500 or 2k in the swap...and thats using some old stuff

OX1

Bronco Guru

Only 4-5 extra wires and a new computer if/when you want to convert to MAF.

One thing on the linc. The wiring harness for the computer has quite a bit of the rest of the electrical system embedded in it. Things like the on board air for the rear airbags, ABS, electric hydroboost, etc... (even the headlights IIRC). I had to dismantle the entire harness and get rid of what I didn't need. Not really a great candidate for a harness, but doable if you want to do the work.

OP
OP
Y

yjkinsch

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
OK Im back to looking for a 87 to 93 mustang. I m looking for a salvage unit, that I can get everything at once. The links everyone has provided has been alot of help. I've spent all day reading the links on swapping motors. any mods required that will require new parts other than what is on the mustang.

let me know
thanks

OX1

Bronco Guru
OK Im back to looking for a 87 to 93 mustang. I m looking for a salvage unit, that I can get everything at once. The links everyone has provided has been alot of help. I've spent all day reading the links on swapping motors. any mods required that will require new parts other than what is on the mustang.

let me know
thanks

I would not totally put the linc Mk VII's off my list. The great thing about them is you can many times get a running car cheaper than a "mustang" engine. Very few know they have the exact same engine as a mustang GT. Easy info to find, but many are LAZY!!! Heck, some people who own a linc don't even know (or care) what engine is in there. %)

The last one I got (a 90 for $500) I got to start it cold (see if any oil smoke puffs out from valves or seals), got to hear it run (see how it idles cold), drive it while it warmed up (see if it has good power cold and hot). Cruise it around a bit to see if it overheated (cracked head/block??). Floor it while it warmed up (see if thinner oil starts blowing by with warm motor). Got to watch factory oil pressure guage (not the best I realize) and see how far oil pressure dropped when warmed up.

All that info is well worth the price of having to find a different harness and/or mass air, since you know you have a good engine. Then you could get a complete mustang 87/88 speed density harness off E-bay like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Must...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

or you could try here too (http://vb.foureyedpride.com/index.php) for $100-175. Make sure you get engine harness, injector harness, and oxygen sensor harness. They are 3 separate pieces from ford and many only sell part of it for big bucks (making you think you got it all). Then get the mass air harness here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-8...dZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQitemZ120511453441

or used here real cheap

http://sto00.mailcar.net/catalog/in...ase&utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_term=GoogleBase

fireman_033

Loc.
Bastrop, La
I see your in OK there is a guy in Athens TX that has a Samuri with a 5.0 out of a Mustang in it you could pick up for 1500 or less. It would already have all the wire harness and such done may be worth lookin into and may not. I have his number if you want to pm me. Scott

OP
OP
Y

yjkinsch

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
Wow Guys. I'll be reading for days, Thanks for the sites. I found a 90 mustang that is rearended only 60k miles. Now if I can get it for a good price. Then the fun (swap ) will begin. I may do the trans swap at the same time.

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL
I got a 96 Explorer motor intake and acc. drive, summit harness and mustang dizzy,MAF and ECU. It was super easy

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Wow Guys. I'll be reading for days, Thanks for the sites. I found a 90 mustang that is rearended only 60k miles. Now if I can get it for a good price. Then the fun (swap ) will begin. I may do the trans swap at the same time.

that probably be a good deal, since you wont have to buy much at all youll have it!