• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Easy/Cheap Door Improvement

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I spent the past two weekends doing an easy bit of maintenance on the hardware of both front doors while putting in some Dynamat*.

*Well okay, the Dynamat isn't the cheap part, but the other task is!

I used some Teflon lube to hit all the internal mechanisms for both the door latches and the locks. (This was actually spurred by the driver's door being hard to unlatch from the outside at times.) All the pivots and whatnot had gotten really dry in both doors, and pushing the outside buttons especially made them somewhat tough to operate.

What a difference! Everything has that "lubrity-smooth" feel to it now, and the doors open so much easier. I also put a bit of white lithium grease on the fulcrum on the inside handle and also the spring that counter-acts the window regulator. Total time (excluding the Dynamat) about 20 minutes per door.

It's just one of those little things you can do to make your Bronco feel a bit newer and better.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
One step better is to remove the door latches and spray them down with oven cleaner to get all the old grease/dirt off them then lube them back up. this ensures several more years of smooth operation.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I left the latches soaking in a solvent tank overnight to remove all the super rusty residue. Add some fresh lube and reinstall. Felt like new. I can't believe I waited YEARS to get around to doing that.