• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

easy way to determine which disc brakes I have?

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
hello everyone.

I just broke my first axle this weekend!!!! I don't know wether to be pissed or happy that I can now claim this badge of honor of four wheel-dom??

Anyway, I was looking at new, more stout front axles, and need to know which outers to buy, the stock ford type or the chevy type.

I have a 74 ranger with a dana 44. I have front AND rear disc brakes. To my knowledge, 74s did not come with front discs as an option. I know rear discs were never an option....

So... my question is, is there an easy way to look at the exterior of the disc brakes/ calipers to determine which setup I have?? Did a PO swap in the fronts with chevys when they did the rear, or is it a complete swapped dana 44 with discs from a later year early bronco?

I am aware that the spindles will be different if it is chevys (right???) but want to know If I can just look so that I don't have to tear it down, order parts, and then have to leave it torn down while I am waiting for the parts to show up.

Thanks in advance.....

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Checkout the picture in this recent thread...if your caliper looks like those, you have Chebbys. Otherwise, you've got Fords and then it's a matter of deciding whether you've got the full-size knuckles or the Bronco parts.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82166&highlight=Chevy+caliper

Somebody else might be able to give you a surefire way to tell as well, but a picture would remove all doubt.

OP
OP
superfly53

superfly53

Loc.
Coos Bay
thank you guys, my calipers slide into the retainers on the axle, so I assume that they are ford parts, as stated earlier.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Look for a set of big (3/8") allen head bolts behind the caliper. The Chevy setup has these slider bolts and the Ford doesn't.