• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ebay bronco

Status
Not open for further replies.

z-one311

Loc.
Payson, Utah
69? What!

First of all anyone that has ever turned a wrench know that the money you put into a vehicle is never the way you figure out how much its worth. It called up keep. And if it need that much work done to it then what is it hiding underneath. Yeah i don't doubt you could drop that amount of cash for one if you are building it. The labor alone will cost you your first born. But for my money i would have a/c, and does it even have rear disc brakes?, Plus a c-4 and not any kind of 5 speed or overdrive transmission. I mean come on does it have some kind of secret happy ending item that i don't know about. And yes paint costs some cash but for what he paid he could have bought a whole new body and saved 20 grand! Who puts a spool in for that kind of money. For a 5th of the price he could have air lockers and a on-board air setup. I just don't understand. I am building a 1970 with a zf 5 speed to Dana 20 to 302 bores .30 over with a ho electronic injection. Saginaw pump with hydro boost, Front and rear disc brakes, extended radius arms, A/C that i will either convert to an air compressor or use a/c, 66 half cab Baja with roll cage. Warn 8000 pound winch that can be used on the front or rear full and half doors. 34/10.50/16 on new alloy 16 inch 5 on 5.5 dual gas tanks. Heavy duty half ton rear end with limited slip and limited slip in the front. Headers new dual 2.5 inch exhaust with over 300 hp. And hydraulic clutch with tilt steering. 3.5 inch wild horses lift and 2 inch body lift. All of that after all is said and done will be some where in the ball park of 10k for me. Then its hard to believe that what he has is had 69k worth of work done. He got raped is all i know. And the bronco looks bad ass but for what it cost i could build two just like it and better!

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
I just checked this on ebay (again). And some proud Dumbass paid 30K for a vehicle that is worth no more then 15-20 tops.
I dont care what you have in it, all said and done you can buy a nice EB for 15-20K!
You may add some more "stuff" but its still not worth paying anything more then that.
If you do, Then just make sure its real special.
And this one was not! It was clean, but it dosent look any different then any other one out there for half the price.
well as the old saying goes, theres an ASS for every seat. You just have to leed them to it.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
looks at lot like this one that I saw at our condo in 2006 in Moab...oh yeah it is/was.

If you paid someone to build it and saw the quality that went into it you would understand. I could never afford Drew's work, but if I could I'd have him build me one, regardless of cost.

I guess 20, 40, or even 150K for a bronco is worth it if you can afford it! If you cant, dont rag on the guy who can! (and its not me by the way!) Its all relative. I have an 2006 Superduty dually that sits in the garage for the winter to keep it out of the salt...why? because I can. Dont be a hater. :cool: ;D

Attachments

• DSC00033 (Small).JPG
    DSC00033 (Small).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00043 (Small).JPG
    DSC00043 (Small).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just checked this on ebay (again). And some proud Dumbass paid 30K for a vehicle that is worth no more then 15-20 tops.
I dont care what you have in it, all said and done you can buy a nice EB for 15-20K!
You may add some more "stuff" but its still not worth paying anything more then that.
If you do, Then just make sure its real special.
And this one was not! It was clean, but it dosent look any different then any other one out there for half the price.
well as the old saying goes, theres an ASS for every seat. You just have to leed them to it.

The "ended add" I saw showed 0bids on the 30k starting price-makes me think ".....some proud Dumbass...." paid a bit more than 30k. Just curious, have you and Mr. Ex Brave seen this bronco in person? As was posted previously, there is alot more to that bronco than meets the eye.............
As is usually the case on Classic-different strokes for different folks-with that said your 15k-20k has been surpased by many on here JUST IN PARTS-the bronco you are cracking on is included in that list............

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
with that said your 15k-20k has been surpased by many on here JUST IN PARTS-the bronco you are cracking on is included in that list............

ah...yeah me too...but you'd never guess it by looking at it! which actually does depress me sometimes! ;D oh well, its only money, I can always make more! ;)

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
The "ended add" I saw showed 0bids on the 30k starting price-makes me think ".....some proud Dumbass...." paid a bit more than 30k. Just curious, have you and Mr. Ex Brave seen this bronco in person? As was posted previously, there is alot more to that bronco than meets the eye.............
As is usually the case on Classic-different strokes for different folks-with that said your 15k-20k has been surpased by many on here JUST IN PARTS-the bronco you are cracking on is included in that list............

well from the photo i can see a little body filler waves in the upper drivers door as well as the pass door not lining up to the 1/4 panel.
and since i build vehicles for a living im sure "for the price" i can pick it apart a lot more in person. now if it went for 15K as it should have then i would not pick it apart and would say they got a good deal.;D

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
12K in engine alone. That's some engine.

thats my point about this rig. 12K for a motor? come on, I can buy an all out big block track ready motor for less then that. about 8K from summit.
the guy who owned it was a chump for paying the exploded charges that he paid.
and we all know of the new ass in the new seat story:eek:

I built my jeep, I know different brand but lets talk just parts.
8.8 rear w/disk brakes 4.56 lockered gears, frnt/rear, 4.5"lift kit
350TPI V8, 700 R4 w/ shift kit. headers dual exhaust, complete new interior, soft top, doors , 35 X 12.5 pro comp mud terrains
warn 9000 winch
and i still stayed under 5K!
oh yea and when i bought it, it was black so another 500 for paint and supplys
again, i cannot see it justified that this fool had this much money wrapped up in this vehicle.
yes body work would be an issue so ill also add the cost of my rig at 13,500. im still under 20K!
and

Last edited:

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
and since i build vehicles for a living im sure "for the price" i can pick it apart a lot more in person. now if it went for 15K as it should have then i would not pick it apart and would say they got a good deal.;D

you can build a truck like that or should I say any 'really nice' bronco for under 15k? and sell it for 15K? and not for yourself, build it for someone, you must be billing $2 an hour!

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
thats my point about this rig. 12K for a motor? come on, I can buy an all out big block track ready motor for less then that. about 8K from summit.
the guy who owned it was a chump for paying the exploded charges that he paid.
and we all know of the new ass in the new seat story:eek:

I built my jeep, I know different brand but lets talk just parts.
8.8 rear w/disk brakes 4.56 lockered gears, frnt/rear, 4.5"lift kit
350TPI V8, 700 R4 w/ shift kit. headers dual exhaust, complete new interior, soft top, doors , 35 X 12.5 pro comp mud terrains
warn 9000 winch
and i still stayed under 5K!
oh yea and when i bought it, it was black so another 500 for paint and supplys
again, i cannot see it justified that this fool had this much money wrapped up in this vehicle.
yes body work would be an issue so ill also add the cost of my rig at 13,500. im still under 20K!
and

yeah you built it for you. Now pay a normal labor rate of $50? $60 an hour for an extensive rebuild and whats your new cost?

I personally dont like working on my bronco but I do it because I couldnt afford the upgrades if I had to pay someone to put them in but I dont hold it against people who can.

I guess I dont see what the big deal is. maybe its me? I've been told that before! ;D

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
I understand what you are saying about the labor rate, but at the same token, the money that went into that vehicle was way over inflated. I can build a nice one for someone for 30-40K and come out with a nice profit all day.
I guess my point is that the bronco listed on ebay didnt look like anything special, as a matter of fact, for the money I thought it looked very bland and run of the mill. it had the basic upgrades that most everyone does, and the owner got ripped off by the shops working on his truck.
As a business owner i could not have turned out a vehicle like that for that money and sleep well at night.%)

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Some of you guys are very amusing to say the least! ;D

I've been at events all around the county for the last 10+ years and probably looked at as many or more Broncos in person than anyone on this forum and would be willing to set that Bronco next to any I have seen. Its not perfect, I know every flaw that was in it when it left the shop, but it did turn out damn nice and I would love to own it myself.

I could also pick apart ANY vehicle if I felt I needed to in order to make myself feel better, but I do not. Instead I try to work on my next project or idea rather than sitting behind an anonymous keyboard talking bad of others work or how I can do it twice as good for next to nothing.

This forum seems to get more and more experts each day. Please share detailed pics AND build sheets with full breakdowns of prices including labor time of your latest projects. I'd love to see and learn from them!

FWIW, I know nothing of the new motor that was installed by the 2nd owner (or the gay exhaust, air cleaner, etc.) ;)

Anyway, If any of you experts want to showcase your work. Please submit a complete build sheet with detailed pics. I have some close connections who I've worked with for several years now and can probably have you showcased at the worlds largest All-Ford show if your rigs are as good as you indicate.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I understand what you are saying about the labor rate, but at the same token, the money that went into that vehicle was way over inflated. I can build a nice one for someone for 30-40K and come out with a nice profit all day.
I guess my point is that the bronco listed on ebay didnt look like anything special, as a matter of fact, for the money I thought it looked very bland and run of the mill. it had the basic upgrades that most everyone does, and the owner got ripped off by the shops working on his truck.
As a business owner i could not have turned out a vehicle like that for that money and sleep well at night.%)

What is your shop rate?

Do you charge on a quote basis or T&M?

How many hours do you estimate to do a full body off job?

How much do you allow for repairing rust or otehr damage that is uncovered after stripping down to bare metal, body work, paint, etc? (I don't do body work, it was done by another shop).

When you find it takes a couple days to make a set of aftermarket fiberglass fenders fit the orginal grille and hood as they should, do you charge what time you have in them, or just the 2-3 hours you thought it should take?

Please share your knowledge on these subjects. There's lots of us on here who want to learn how to make nice Broncos!

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I'm w/ Broncitis. The guys that are being so critical should be required to post a pic of your own Bronco, if you even own one, and tell us how much you have invested ,whether it's 2K or 50K, so the rest of us an have a good laugh.

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
Answer to broncitis

Q)What is your shop rate?
A)$55 hr.

Q) Do you charge on a quote basis or T&M?
A) I charge on a quote basis for replacement parts and T&M for custom parts.

Q)How many hours do you estimate to do a full body off job?
A)???? you can not give an estimate without seing a vehicle,every job is different, But an average price for me to do a frame off, with rust in the average areas is around 15K-20K
Taking into account that the owner of the vehicle will usually send me the body on a rolling chassis with pretty much everything removed. (eng,trans,interior,etc.)And they usually assemble it when finished.

Q)How much do you allow for repairing rust or otehr damage that is uncovered after stripping down to bare metal, body work, paint, etc? (I don't do body work, it was done by another shop).
A)After the vehicle is stripped down to metal i evaluate the vehicle with the client and adjust cost to repair at that time. Again, each job is different.

Q)When you find it takes a couple days to make a set of aftermarket fiberglass fenders fit the orginal grille and hood as they should, do you charge what time you have in them, or just the 2-3 hours you thought it should take?
A)I do charge extra to make aftermarket parts fit, but i am also considerate when it comes to adjusting the price, I mean who would charge a client $600. to adjust/modify a part they just spent 200 on? Im fair, I add an extra few hundred depending how bad the part is. If it is real bad I will usually send it back to the manufacture and replace it with another. i find this usually helps a lot. they actually look in there pile for the "better one"
Please share your knowledge on these subjects. There's lots of us on here who want to learn how to make nice Broncos![/QUOTE]

I think I shared my knowledge to you of the questions you have asked of me. As far as your comment to the "lot of bronco owners on here wanting to learn how to build nice bronco's" i see a lot of them on here. Again in the price range I'm talking about.
I think your missing the point of what people are saying about this vehicle. The vehicle in question (not a bad vehicle) but not worth what was spent on it. it looks like the average Bronco that sells for 30K
Of course taking into account that the average bronco owner, does there own wrenching so to have a nicely restored or slightly custom bronco for 30-40K is a very fair statement.
my comment was directed to the owner of the ebay bronco, more or less meaning that if you want someone to build you an entire vehicle, and you spend a fortune doing so, the other people would be crazy buying it from you for what you spend on it.
A good example of this statement can be confirmed just watching Barrett Jackson. how many street rods and customs were on there this year built over 150K and sold for 80K or so.

The jeep that I have in my gallery was built in a two month period i figured it to have around 400 hours into it. that was a frame on rebuild, but had custom motor mounts, dash, eng, trans.
and the 400 hrs. included it start to finish by myself.
"Not bad" if you ask me.

Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
At your $55 shop rate you have a $22,000 labor bill for a body on restomod plus whatever you have in parts, plus the purchase of the vehicle which should be at least another $10-20K if there is much there. Parts sure add up as many of us know. Hell, I have about $10K in upgrades sitting on a pallet waiting to go on my trail rig since I last drove it a few years ago!

So, if you were to bill for it you'd have a $30-40K+ YJ frame on build. It looks nice, but honestly it does nothing for me personally (maybe because its not a Bronco ?:? ). I've seen many other Jeeps with Chevy EFI swaps, flashy paint, etc.

Having read your reply makes me feel I was more than fair with my $30 shop rate and 575 hours I billed for the body off and custom work I did on the silver Bronco (included some initial body work/mods, but not quarter/front floor replacements, stripping to bar metal, prep, and paint which was done by another shop who's rate is $50).

I know that I purchased and billed for at least $20K in aftermarket parts and custom CNC work for this build in addition to what the customer provided and had done (trans and engine rebuilds, tires and wheels, purchase of Bronco).

In short, there is NO WAY that you could build this same Bronco at your shop rate (or mine) for the price you mentioned in your eariler post unless you are 6 times as fast as any of us!

Yes, many on here and at many of the events I regularly attend have very nice Broncos. Some have done all of the work themselves and have been very resourceful in finding used parts, wheeling and dealing, etc. and have been able to make super nice rigs for a modest amount. Others do not do any work themselves and have paid others to build their dream Broncos. Still others do some or most of the work themselves and have very specific goals for their builds and have spent nearly 6 figures doing so. Either way, it is what these owners wanted to do and I do not see it as anyone elses buisness to criticize it. Build your Bronco with your available budget as you see fit, it is none of my business do tell you otherwise unless you ask for my opinion. :-X

Here are some more pics for you and others to pick apart as you and a few others seem to enjoy: %)

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97014&page=3

As for z-one311's coment about the total dollar amount being part of "upkeep", that is only true if you add the total over many years. The dollar amounts I refer to are for what you see, not for repairs, swapped out upgrades, etc. I'll be intersted to see pics of your rig that you will have $10K in. Please don't forget to add $30-$60/hour for your time! Assuming your time is worth something as well. Not that this will add to the resale value, but it should give you a better understading on how dollars can add up when building a custom vehicle for a customer.

For me the process was very simple. I was asked to build a "trick Bronco". I presented some ideas and options with approximate costs of parts and labor and the customer said yes or no to those choices. The end result is what you see.

I too can build a $5k, $10K or $20K Bronco, but it will not be what you see in the pics in the link above. It will not have a one-off laser cut dash with customized back lit switch legends, custom gas tank skid, PSC steering system, new hydroboost, full custom cage, beard seats, Hanson and Protofab bumpers, Warn lights on custom laser cut tabs, CAGE long arms, etc. It may have some of these items, but to have it all the parts alone will be nearly double the budget!

Last edited:

muladesigns1

Loc.
Goodyear AZ
I guess we can analize and go back and forth on this for days and days. the bottom line is this, you worked on the bronco and are very proud (and defensive) on what you did. that said, I originally said that the bronco was not a bad bronco. I did state however that for the money the person could have had one hellova great looking bronco.
I did state and still do, that for the money, the Bronco was not built well (bodywork and paint wise) for the money.will get lost at any Bronco event i.e. (blend in).
To me if you are going to throw 60+K at a vehicle especially one like and early Bronco which "average" 20-40K, then it should look "special" and really stand out!
the bodywork is OK at best. If something as simple as lining up a set of doors and allowing ripples to show in the bodywork then the job is not woth the money spent.
maybe instead of all the special laser cut do dads and widgets, which I could have duplicated the floor shifter for under 100 bucks from any sign shop here in town. he should have ponied up more greenbacks for a better bodyshop, which would have gotten better resultsThe paint may look better if it were buffed out maybe. seems to have a low shine in the photo. And the exhaust? can you say RIP BEND TEAR! the first time it goes offroad? And the rear tires look to be inset to far compared to the front. Maybe its the the angle of the photo.
Again, My original intention was not to pick it apart, But i guess I must show some items to you since you are questioning me about my opinion. as well as others on this thread as well I might add. I was just stating that it is not "trick" enough to justify the price. But you seem to want to keep going on with this, with me. We will get nowhere, I believe what I said to be true to my shop standards and pricing. and most of all Its my opinion, and I dont really care who shares or disagrees with it.

Oh and the average Bronco is more like 3-6K for one needing a restoration, not 10K, hell I paid only 2K for mine and it is a running driver, i think it's a good find for the price.
unless your talking about the EBay bronco, he probably bought a rust bucket for 15K

Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I am proud of it, but not defensive, just matter of fact.

If you have spent ANY amount of time in shops that do high end street rods, hot rods, classics, etc, you would know that numbers can get very large limit when restoring and customizing vehicles. The street rod shop that did the paint and body has 6-8 projects going on at any given time, most all of which are $75K-$150K. Why does it seem that many on this forum who are here because the love Broncos can justify large money being put into a street rod, but not a Bronco? High end street rods are very common, high end Broncos are not.

Many on this forum have seen it in person and know that it is certainly not average and does not blend in when set alongside of others. It is not an over the top brightly colored, loaded with bling ride, that is not what the owner wanted. It is not the fanciest, biggest, baddest, fastest, most powerfull, most technilogically advanced, etc. But is is far nicer than most and always got great reactions when I took to to shows and events all around the country.

The paint was all buffed and does has a very good shine regardless of what you interpret from the photos. Yes, the door seam was less than impressive, but the fit of the replacement quarters was terrible. Not that it makes it better, but that falls into the catagory of "it is what it is" and was for the customer and the bodyshop to work out of there was a problem that the owner could not accept.

The bottom line is that the customer had the money to build it the way he wanted and when he got in and drove off he had a grin from ear to ear ;D . Therefore, it really does not mean squat what you, I or others think of this rig or any other persons dream vehicle.

If you would have read my post earlier, the exhaust that is now own it was put on by the second owner. When it left my shop it had a 2 into 1 system with a stainless tailpipe that was more than trail capable.

EB's do have a slightly narrower rear track. Its a standard EB 9" and 44 housing in this rig with the 44 properly centered, so nothing odd there.

Bright paint and skull graphics do don't consitute "trick" to many of us. Clean, updated but simple, well detailed and complete from top to bottom do.

I would hope you could dulicate the floor shifter for that. I sell them for half that! %)

$3-$6K? Now you are the new "Blue Book" of EB values too? %)

Maybe in AZ, but here in PA and the NE, if you want something worth starting with for a big money project it will be that at a mininum, but that is another topic.

You are absolutly correct onone thing. This will get no where. You think you can make things twice as nice for 1/5 the amount. Good for you, you can now officially be my Bronco Idol! ;D

BTW, as I recall, the purchase price for that Bronco was about $7500 + shipping from out west about 3 years ago, not $15K as you would assume. It was a decent rig, but did have some rust that was intentionally hidden and not disclosed by the seller which was found when stripped to a bare tub. Still not terrible and not a bad deal by NE standards.

Will you be traveling to any Bronco events this year? I and surely some others would love to meet you and see your high end-low dollar work in person.

Last edited:

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
Can you all recommend a good chrome shop. I have 24 shocks (6 on each corner), and 6 steering stabilizers I need chromed for my Bronco frame on build. Also I need some 12" blocks for the rear too. Thanks in advance.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Can you all recommend a good chrome shop. I have 24 shocks (6 on each corner), and 6 steering stabilizers I need chromed for my Bronco frame on build. Also I need some 12" blocks for the rear too. Thanks in advance.

Just ask Mula, I'm sure he can get them done better, faster and cheaper than most anyone else on this list! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.