• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock Carb Calibration Kits

72bronco

Bronco Guru
<br>I was wondering if anyone had any experience using the calibration kits for the Edelbrock performer carbs. I have a #1406 carb bolted to a performer intake sitting on top of my 302. My engine is basically stock except for a set of headers and a Mallory Unilite ignition. <br><br>Overall she runs very good with plenty of power. I advanced the initial timing to 12 degrees and now it idles better and has better acceleration. However there is a little bit of a stumble if I stomp on the skinny pedal. Plus it still smells like she's running rich even though I've adjusted the mixture screws as lean as practical. <br><br>I'm thinking that a calibration kit might help to tune the carb to my application. I figure somebody around here has used one of these kits before and can tell me the best combination of rods, jets, and springs to use. Otherwise it'll just be a process of trial and error I guess.<br><br>The kit for the 1406 carb contains the following:<br><br>Metering Rods (Pair)<br>.070 x .042 #1450 <br>.073 x .042 #1455<br>.073 x .047 #1456<br><br>Metering Jets (Pair)<br>.095 #1426 <br>.098 #1427 <br>.101 #1429 <br><br>Step-Up Springs (Pair)<br>3-inch Hg Blue<br>4-inch Hg Yellow<br>5-inch Hg Orange<br>7-inch Hg Pink<br>8-inch Hg Silver<br><br>An yes, I know that some of you guys will tell me to convert to fuel injection instead. That's my long-term plan, but until I have the $$ and time this will have to do. Any help would be appreciated.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Someone posted what they used from the kit on here a few months back. I would search for it.<br><br>I have the kit also and never used it, I ended up getting a Q jet.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have the Carb Kit and it made all the difference in the world with my Edelbrock carb - well worth the investment. Get the off road needle and seat as well

Blueoval4me

Loc.
Fullerton, CA
For the amount I paid for my "junkyard" efi (86 mustang with lincoln wiring) I could not have bought an edelbrock carb and a 4 barrel manifold. It runs great. <br><br>Its funny, every time I am on runs almost all the carb guys tell all the fi guys "man...I have got to get FI" I am not bragging I am just very happy with my junkyard FI.<br><br>IMO If you sold your carb, your manifold, and your distributer on Ebay, and you were willing to to deal with Junkyard parts and a MAP system (easily converted to MAF later) you wont be very deep in your project, especially with all the money your about to drop on edelbrock parts. <br><br>I guess I am the guy who said go to FI. Good luck either way.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Back in the old days when I had my Eddybrock , I went through the same thing and ended up using the orange spring , the off road needle and seat and moved the accelorater pump down to the lowest hole . I tried different metering rods as well as jets but ended up putting it back to stock . The important thing is that you don't change too much at once unless you really know what you are doing . This will allow you to see what each individual mod has done . Technically , I have always been told that a stock 302 should run at it's peak with a 500 cfm 4bbl carb . Good luck and don't hesitate to call them boys at Ebrock for help .

67ster

Bronco Guru
If you get lost on tuning that E-brock or Carter or whatever , get the Carter book , lotsa info . I got mine at Wal-mart . Like the man said make ONE change at a time !!

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Blueoval4me link=board=5;threadid=12661;start=0#94602 date=1041029580]<br>For the amount I paid for my "junkyard" efi (86 mustang with lincoln wiring) I could not have bought an edelbrock carb and a 4 barrel manifold. It runs great. <br><br>Its funny, every time I am on runs almost all the carb guys tell all the fi guys "man...I have got to get FI" I am not bragging I am just very happy with my junkyard FI.<br><br>IMO If you sold your carb, your manifold, and your distributer on Ebay, and you were willing to to deal with Junkyard parts and a MAP system (easily converted to MAF later) you wont be very deep in your project, especially with all the money your about to drop on edelbrock parts. <br><br>I guess I am the guy who said go to FI. Good luck either way.<br>[/quote]I second that!!!!!!!