• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edited My post - Got all (or most) of the parts for NV3550, few last questions??

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
grauerfam said:
Don, that's lookin great. Can't wait to hear your feed back when done. How about posting some rpm numbers at say 55, 65 70, etc.

I will let you know how it works once it is installed. Though I have at least 456 gears and 35 inch tires, so my reading may be differnt than yours.

I just ordered one of these for it

huu-3910140_w.jpg

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
jkskier said:
Are you just showing us a normal shifter for this thing or is there something unique about this one?

Well there has been some talk about shorter throw shifters. There is the Hurst and the B&M shifters. I did a little research, and so far only one post about either one. In my comparison of the two short throw shifters, It looks like the Hurst fits the Bronco better. So I am going to try the Hurst shifter, and let you all know how it works.

stlkikn

The Hurst is awesome!!
Super easy install, the throw is about 2/3 (or slightly less) of the stock shifter, none of the wishy washy feel of the nylon bushinged factory shifter either.
Should come through the floor something like this... (truck has a 1" b. lift)

Attachments

• Hurst rt.jpg
    Hurst rt.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 41

ransil

Bronco Guru
DonsBolt said:
I didn't really want tp make a new post, so I edited my old post.

I have the Advanced adaptor kit, the new trans is here. Since the bracket that comes with the Advanced Adaptors kit doesn't work with a J shifter, I picked up a T shift Dana 20 that I am rebuilding.

Here is my plan
I ordered the master rebuild kit for the T shift Dana 20, from Jeffs, and it looks like rebuilding the Transfer case will be a peice of cake. I took it apart last night, and re assembled it, just for practice. I took the spud shaft, from the AA kit to a local shop today, who removed the pressed in the new seal to the AA housing, and helped remove the snap ring from the D 20 input gear, and helped me tranfer it to the AA spud shaft.

I decided I don't really want to mess with the shift rails, and think I can live without twin sticks, so I ordered this shifter from Wild Horses, along with there output shaft.
8557TS~1.jpg

So since I have a new(to me) transfer case, I am going to mock everything up, and assemble everything at my house. That way when I do the swap, I can remove the old trans/transfer case, and install the new setup the same way.

My questions are
The AA kit comes with a new clutch plate, but not with a throw out bearing, or the clutch bellows. I replaced the whole clutch about a year ago with a LUK clutch. Should I replace the thow out bearing, and the bellows part of the clutch with a Centerforce setup, or is it ok to use the Luk stuff along with the centerforce disk. If so does anyone have the part numbers for those two parts?

Anything else I might be forgetting????

Thanks
Don

Replace the bearing, its cheap.
I helped install a new tranny a few months ago , it had a year old throwout bearing in it we left it as is, Yhis weekend I will be picking up that bronco and one of the things that needs done is replacing the throwout bearing, its making noise.

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I agree, the Hurst is terrific, way better than the stock shifter. I was disappointed when I first put in the NV3550 because of the loose, vague shifting, but the Hurst makes it all good. Shifts feel positive and the self centering action makes it so much easier. Looks way better too!

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Thanks guys
I tell you I am really looking foward to getting this done.

I am not going to miss the 2.32 first gear of the Top Loader, the lack of overdrive, or the big hump for the shifter on the side of the trans tunnel.

Just imagine how much better it will launch off the line with a 4.01 first gear

I also have this for the transfer case. So all I need to do is beef up the axles. I am on the list to get one of the first Aussie Lockers for the rear axle.

Willl this madness ever end????????????

Attachments

• outputshaft.JPG
    outputshaft.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 13

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
My HD OS should be here monday or tuesday. Are you puttin in the Terra Low gears too Don? Let us know how smooth the OS install is.

Adventurous4x4

Loc.
Hagerstown , Md
Congrats Don on your conversion , and a big Thanks for letting me help get things together for you on your build . It was truely a pleasure working with you and I hope you have many many miles of trouble free driving with the new NV 3550;D

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
stlkikn said:
Don,
I have completed the 3550 swap in two of my trucks, great choice, you will not be disappointed.
The LuK and the C Force use the same pressure plate! (the C Force I replaced when doing my 69 actually had "LuK" stamped into the housing! You will not have any problems using the LuK and C Force components together. (Luk part# 07 120)
If the plates and the throwout are in good shape, you can probably get by without replacing them, personally, if I was in there, I would replace them. I hate doing the same job twice!

The tech article here on the site is good, I also have pics of my installs if you need any for reference.
Good luck,
Drew

Thanks Drew
I took Your Advice, and ordered a new Centerforce Throw Out Bearing, a new Pressure Plate, just to make sure I have all the same brand components in there. It would really suck to put everything together and not have it work. I also ordered new bushing, washers, boots for the shift linkage. Figured while the trans is out, is the time to do it all.

There was a slight change of plans, I sent that shifter back, and am going with the twin shifts.

If you have any pics of your install send them to dhco60@comcast.net