• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Distributor gear question:

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
Can I take the cast gear off my old distributor and put it on the EFI distributor..........or..........do I have to purchase a cast gear for the EFI distributor?

Also, the shaft on the EFI distributor is longer than than my old distributor??? Is that normal? Looks like the oil pump shaft just goes into the end of the EFI distributor farther.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Can I take the cast gear off my old distributor and put it on the EFI distributor..........or..........do I have to purchase a cast gear for the EFI distributor?

Also, the shaft on the EFI distributor is longer than than my old distributor??? Is that normal? Looks like the oil pump shaft just goes into the end of the EFI distributor farther.

Steel (roller) cam goes with steel gear. Cast gear goes with iron (flat tappet) cam. If you are staying with a flat tappet cam you'll need an iron gear for your TFI dizzy. The gear ID is different than your original distributor though, so you'll need a new gear. From Ford Racing catalog, part number for a cast iron gear to fit a TFI dizzy (0.531" ID gear) is M-12390-D.

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you are putting a Dura Spark set up on an 89 5.0L then get a distributor for an '85 Mustang GT 5 Speed.

If you are keeping EFI drop in the distributor that came with the motor.
They should be the same length.

I have the correct Dura Spark Distributor if you need one, PM me.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
85 mustangs had the roller cam. 86 was the first year for EFI. I have an 85 dura spark dizzy in my 94 roller motor in my 65 fastback.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Maybe he is putting EFI on an old original 302 (the original post is not very clear on what he is trying to do). In that case he would be looking for a TFI distributor with a cast gear. Try an ’88 crown vic with EFI. The early EFI non-HO engines were still flat tappet cams. I think the early 90’s all 5.0 engines went roller

OP
OP
Ryans71

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
I'm putting 90 mustang EFI on my bronco 302. I was just wondering when I go to the parts store, to ask for a distributor gear, what car model & year to point them to? Looks like you guys answered that;D

Still though, the distributor shaft on the EFI dizzy is 1/2" longer from the bottom of the gear to the bottom of the shaft. Looks like the oil pump shaft goes into the distributor shaft so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I'll install it tonight to see if there's an issue.

Ryan.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cast gear with big hole.
'87 EFI crown vic should work for a source of the gear. Also available from Ford Motorsports, probably for less if you can find it local

Recko555

I got my cast distributor gear from Summit, but it came from Ford Motorsports. It was cheap and I got it fast. Followed the instructions to a "T" when installing and everything is going good so far.

broncnut

I'm putting 90 mustang EFI on my bronco 302. I was just wondering when I go to the parts store, to ask for a distributor gear, what car model & year to point them to? Looks like you guys answered that;D

Still though, the distributor shaft on the EFI dizzy is 1/2" longer from the bottom of the gear to the bottom of the shaft. Looks like the oil pump shaft goes into the distributor shaft so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I'll install it tonight to see if there's an issue.

Ryan.

The long shaft will fit. ;D I just tried it. I am having a issue on where to set the new cast gear? Do I set it up like the EFI dizzy or do I set it up like the stock dizzy I removed?

Terry

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I did the same thing, 1986 EFI on a stock 1975 302. The TFI distributor fits fine, and I just got a Cast iron gear from Summit Racing that is made by MSD. MSD also makes Bronze gears that can be used with steel or cast camshafts but are actually intended for racing where they will be regularly inspected for wear.