• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI guys - Van harness question

ScottC

Loc.
Roanoke
My engine donor was a '96 E-something, 5.8L. The engine came with the engine EFI harness which is in great shape, but the main plug is a big square job instead of the wide flat job. Can I just disassemble the plug and install the correct one, or are they wired differently? I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

Also - on the front of the lower manifold, there are two sensors in water passages, one is the normal ECT plug, and the other has a single post connector for one wire. What is that guy?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'96 is OBD-II, EEC-V, 104 pin computer, fuel tank temp, evap pressure, four O2 sensors, cats have to be working, only good thing is easy access to data via the OBD port from under the dash that you probably didn't get.

The big square plug is where the engine harness plugs into the underhood harness, you don't have the complete EFI harness.

Best thing to do is scrap the harness you have now. Get the EEC-IV mustang harness and computer.

OP
OP
ScottC

ScottC

Loc.
Roanoke
Well, crap. Thanks. I was hoping I accidentally saved $500 and could just rework it.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also - on the front of the lower manifold, there are two sensors in water passages, one is the normal ECT plug, and the other has a single post connector for one wire. What is that guy?
Single post sensor is for the engine coolant temp gauge, you can use the one that is in there but for the gauge to read correct just replace that sender with the one from your Bronco manifold, this way it will be calibrated correct.

OP
OP
ScottC

ScottC

Loc.
Roanoke
Single post sensor is for the engine coolant temp gauge, you can use the one that is in there but for the gauge to read correct just replace that sender with the one from your Bronco manifold, this way it will be calibrated correct.

Ah, thanks! Of course, the original Bronco manifold is long gone so I'll have to get another.