• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Help

broncodude_73

I just finished installing an efi system in my 73. I went to start it up and it started but it wouldn't idle correctly. It would only idle at 2300 to 2800 rpm. I played around with the idle air bypass sensor. I even changed it for another one that I had in the shop. No change. Then I changed my throttle body. I had a modified TB on that I bored out and made a new flapper for so I thought maybe that’s the problem. I changed it back to a stock TB. This helped. Now it wants to idle, but now it idles very rough if it idles at all. I then pulled the plug on the distributor that allows me to set the timing this helped, but it still surges while trying to idle. I have not run a diagnostics test.
The other twist is that the motor it is on is a stroked 393 with a lightning lower intake Gt-40 upper 24# injectors 70 mm mass air calibrated to the injectors.
The computer is stock to 91 Gt A9L.
Is this my biggest problem?

Thanks for any help.

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
Kind of sounds like a fuel problem or a bad computer. Let me think about this one ?:?

KST1

First off, you should try to pull codes. That's one of the benefits of EFI, it can tell you what's going on. Sometimes however, you'll get a no code and still have a problem.

I think you should check the Throttle Position Sensor. They can go bad and give some pretty funny running conditions. To check you pull the plug and use a multimeter to check high and low voltages corresponding with closed and open throttle. I don't have the correct voltages with me right now, but someone should be able to provide these for you.

-D

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I think your computer should work with the 24#ers and larger throttle body. My brother runs a 351 in his 92 Mustang and has 24# injecters and a calibrated 75mm throttle body. His is not stroked so its not exactly the same but I would think you would be OK. A while back I read that Ryan from Ford Fuel Injection was running 24's on his and it worked fine. I would look for a vacuum leak first. I had serious idle issues when I first set my EFI up and it turned out to be a leaking vacuum line. What Are you running an EGR? Its possible that you have a bad computer but thats a problem I have never experienced so its hard to say for sure. Do you have another vehicle you can swap a computer out of just to test it? When I bought my computer, the guy I bought it from sent me an older speed density " By mistake " computer instead of the A9L that I paid for. I used my mustang to test the computer and it would idle very rough. He sent me the correct one and it idled perfect. I have found that there are more than a few dishonest guys out there trying to pass off older speed density computers as Mass Air computers. Did you get your from a reliable source?