• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI my EB w/ 5.0HO Throttle Body and EDIS

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
I have been working to get all the parts together for some time now. Yesturday I went to get the timing cover and 36-1 wheel off of a 99 Mountaineer. When I got home I realized the the water pump for this timing cover will be spinning the wrong way if I us the v-belts set up the way they are right now. I think my pully is to small to fit that water pump also.

So am I going to have get rid of my v-belts and go back to the savage yard and get all of the pullies, brackets, and power-steering pump? I really don't want to do this because the brickets are ugly and huge chunks of aluminum that take up a lot of space.

If you have done an efi conversion before please add this thread to your watch list. I hope I have everything ready for the switch by Christmass. So I expect to have a lot more questions as I move through this over the next few months.

If you have used a MegaSquirt ECU please drop me a message and let me know how it worked out for you.

Ranchtruck

The explorer/mountaineer front dress and accessories are actually really popular. The clutch fan moves a lot of air, the alternator has a high output, the power steering pump is decent and doesn't whine (like every other Ford pump) and it's a fairly compact package.

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
I already have the alternator and when I made the switch it made big difference in how the truck ran. But I am not sure I am really sold. I do need a new power steering pump, mine doesn't really work very good until I am turning 3000 RPMs. But this looks like real big mess to be putting into an old beast.

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
ad37e6a1-d4c6-ea31.jpg

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
I got off work at noon today and RAN back to the Pick N Pull to get the rest of my parts.
Now, how do get the fan off of the damn water pump? I beat the crap out of this thing and still had to pay bad water pump, just because I really need that pulley. It would be nice if I could still salvage the fan and fan clutch.
The other thing is; last week on Saturday I went and got the timing cover and trigger wheel. Now I need to figure out how to line the trigger wheel back up on the harmonic balancer. I will post pick of it next.

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
Anyone have advice on what I should about the radiator?

My currant one is aluminum and leaks like a sieve. Should I send it out for repairs and run long hoses like this:

fig_9c-2

Or should I just a new radiator with the revers flow?

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
I have been look for a radiator w/ the reverse flow for 2 days now, and only copper/brass one I can find is about $580. So if I have to buy another aluminum radiator, I think I'm just going to buy another cheep one for now. I found a universal for $130, but think I am going to try to spring for a triple bypass w/ fan shroud for $280.

What do u think? Too much or too little?

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
Well, Christmas has come and gone and my old beast still isn't injected yet, but it's getting there. I finally got the serpentine belt in. So now I have the front of the motor ready for the EDIS.

My MS3 is in the mail and my only real concern now is all of these crimp connectors. When i was at the salvage yard getting my parts I saved all weather packs, but now I can't figure out which crimp connectors I need. I can't see the pictures good enough to pick out the right ones, so I am worried I am going to have buy all new weather packs. Any advice at this point would be helpful.

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
Can someone point me in the right direction? I am worried about the MAF and the 3 little LEDs on the box.

I got my MS3X together and everything seems to be working great. But... In all my testing with the JimStim none of the LEDs came on in the front of the MS box and for some reason I thought they would.

The other problem is that I can't set up the MAF before it is installed in the car, I can't find the settings for the MAF, and without knowing what the MAF settings are I am not sure if there is more than one way to wire it. If I don't wire it correctly I won't be able to put the right settings in.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I never got around to playing with MS, but I assume you just need a flow vs voltage chart for the MAF? What did the MAF come out of?

OP
OP
Rkilpatrickii

Rkilpatrickii

Loc.
Fort Irwin
It is from a late 90s, Ford F-150, if i had to guess I would say 99.

I picked this one because the first one I grabbed was from a 99 Mercury Mountaineer with 19lb injectors; at 75mm it did not fit the cold air intake I purchased and it had way to many wires. I think it had the IAT built in, it had 6 wires (EABCDF). I am using this on a 347 stroker with 24lb injectors. The MAF from the F-150 is 83mm and has only 4 wires(ABCD), and I have already installed the IAT in the side of the Cold air intake.

Last edited: