• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

efi swap troubles

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
hi i'm new here. i could really use some help. i have a 1972 bronco and i atempted to but fuel inj. on it. i went the wrecking yard and came home with injection off a 1989 crown vic. i got the complete harness ( as far as i can tell), manifold etc. i've been reading on the forums of what other guys have done. so i jumped right in. to my astonishment it fired right up first try. actually idles great. when i throttle it hard it pops out the intake. if i pull it out of the garage it starts to pop out the exhaust. at first i did'nt have my egr hooked up to vaccum. with it plugged into manifold vaccum it barely runs. i have tried differnet maps, dist, computer, coil, throtle pos sensor, and running the vaccum through the evr solinoid. i think it is the evr i am not acually sure. if anyone has a thought i would really appreciate it. thanks.

vertex

Loc.
Oregon City
The first thing you should try is setting the timing and be sure to pull the plug out of the spout connector before you check the timing. If the timing looks good pull the codes and see what the computer says.

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
efi troubles

i have set the timing and checked it repeatedly. it is set at 10 degrees without the spout connector. i don't know how to pull the codes or have a way to do it.

scottynelson2

Loc.
boulder colorado
Try to find a copy of Ford Fuel Injection & electronic Engine control by Charles Probst. This book can be a life saver for anyone doing an injection swap or trying to diagnose problems. ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
Either disconnect the EGR or plug it in correctly until its running right.
Should not be needed to get it running smoothly.

Did you use the EFI valve covers?
Did you clean & and or replace the PCV screen?

Check your firing order.
and fuel pressure.

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
it idles just fine. it's when i give it gas it back fires. i pulled the codes over the weekend. a 31 and 34 pop up 1 then the other. i tested the solinoid and it does operate but only allows 3 hg vaccum through. with my vaccum pump that barely pops the diaphram on the egr. i didn't think i could just unplug the egr. i did not use the efi valve covers. does that make a difference?

ransil

Bronco Guru
EFI valve covers are sealed.
You have a vacuum leak.

it idles just fine. it's when i give it gas it back fires. i pulled the codes over the weekend. a 31 and 34 pop up 1 then the other. i tested the solinoid and it does operate but only allows 3 hg vaccum through. with my vaccum pump that barely pops the diaphram on the egr. i didn't think i could just unplug the egr. i did not use the efi valve covers. does that make a difference?

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
i don't understand. do you mean the valve covers don't have any kind of breather or pcv? how does this mean that i have a vaccum leak?

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
It is pulling in unmetered air and making it try and out think its little prosessor.Put EFI covers on it and see if it doesnt clear up.

On the opposite note I put EFI covers on a 302 without a vent and oil shot out the dipstick about 4 ft.
It matters both ways

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, question from the dumb one, how does an EFI setup "breath" the crankcase, where do the vapors go, how do they go?

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I have yanked several junkyard motors and found the injectors were too dirty to work properly. Sat too long and varnished up. I had to remove them, clean and replace the screen and orings. It sounds like a lean condition. You can buy a cheap code reader that works fine for what you have. One broken wire to injector will cause your symptoms. Dirty injectors and an airleak between plenum and lower manifold will also do the same. You also need to check fuel pressure, it can be another source of trouble. You can unplug most of the sensors and make the engine go into closed loop mode. If running doesnt improve, then its likely an airleak, or injector troubles(clogged, wiring, or bad).

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
i am efi stupid but it seems like it's running rich, the burning in my eyes tells me so. i have 17 or 18 hg vaccum at idle. can i still have a vaccum leak with good vaccum. i thought backfiring was un burnt fuel. it only does it when i goose it real fast or multiple times real fast. the egr elimanator was a great idea. i already have a new solinoid coming from ford. i thought it was a good shot since my codes say it has a failure below .24v and above .67v. they go back and forth.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
EB, make sure those injectors are firing. if you got ones that were sitting, there will be a few that will stick. take a long wooden dowel and place one end on the injector, the other end to your ear. you should hear a good solid snapping sound from the injector. you will hear the difference between the good ones, weak ones, and the dead ones. i sent all mine off to get sonic cleaned and flow tested.

another side note... you didn't mention anything about your O2 sensors. you are running them right? Get new ones and make sure they are installed as close to the original location as they were in the crown vic. this is what your computer uses for the fuel map.

on the rear of the lower intake where the pvc valve pushes into the rubber grommet is a filter screen that is rolled up and held together by a cage. pull the pvc and screw a couple sheetrock screws in it and pull it out. unbend the cage and unroll the wire mesh screen. carb cleaner will fix it up like new.

keep us updated... lots of knowledge on this site

OP
OP
EB Passed down

EB Passed down

Loc.
Jacksonville
i cleaned that screen, it was filthy. i do have brand new o2 sensors within inches of where they would be on the crown vic. i will try a stethascope on the injectors tomorrow (have to steal it from work). cleaning the screen didn't help though. i should have my solinoid tomorrow also. we'll see

Broncobowsher

Total hack
hi i'm new here. i could really use some help. i have a 1972 bronco and i atempted to but fuel inj. on it. i went the wrecking yard and came home with injection off a 1989 crown vic. i got the complete harness ( as far as i can tell), manifold etc. i've been reading on the forums of what other guys have done. so i jumped right in. to my astonishment it fired right up first try. actually idles great. when i throttle it hard it pops out the intake. if i pull it out of the garage it starts to pop out the exhaust. at first i did'nt have my egr hooked up to vaccum. with it plugged into manifold vaccum it barely runs. i have tried differnet maps, dist, computer, coil, throtle pos sensor, and running the vaccum through the evr solinoid. i think it is the evr i am not acually sure. if anyone has a thought i would really appreciate it. thanks.

You do not want the EGR directly to vacuum. It needs to go through the EVR regulator. Make sure it is plumbed correctly or it can cause issues.

Popping out the intake is often a lean condition. Check fuel pressure.

As for the PCV crankcase ventalation it isn't nearly as critical with the speed density setup that the '89 crown vic is using. There isn't any air skipping past the MAF as there is no MAF. Remember this is an '89 crown vic, not a MAF mustang.

I would recomend checking fuel pressure, especially under load. That could cause the lean sneeze on the intake.

Also double check the firing order. I have had Ford V8s running completely smooth with 2 plug wires crossed.

The biggest issue I forsee is the posibility of the stock 302 not flowing the same as the donor engine. That is something to consider since you have a speed density EFI. It doesn't really know how much air is entering the engine, just calculations based on pressures and a preprogrammed lookup table. But the original engine should be close to the donor so I don't forsee that being too much of an issue.

Don't toss that EGR too fast. I have known it to get an extra half MPG or so if working right. Too many people are wanting to ditch any for of emissions control thinking it is all evil stuff. They just have been burned by bad stuff in the past or bad teachings. Did the crown vic have bad drivability issues? Then what is wrong with the EGR between the crown vic and the Bronco? EGR does more then just help control emissions. Like many things it's function is often described as a single function in reality it controls a lot of functions.