• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Swap, Valve Cover Questions?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
This is probably a dum question. I understand that the 5.0's/EFI rigs are supposed to have 'sealed' valve covers, but if mine will fit under the GT40 intake, can I simply plug the PCV vent?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
you still need the PCV on one side, and a filtered vent on the other side.
EFI or not, you still need to vent the crankcase.

BTW, the only dumb questions, are the ones that are not asked!

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The PCV is in the intake manifold. There is a vent that goes to the throttle body from the oil filler neck on the explorer valve covers. Could I use the valve cover PCV and connect it to the t-body? I've eyeballed it and it looks like my valvecovers will fit, and would be one less thing to do...

CccBroncos

Loc.
LI, New York
+ 1 i was gonna get my bronco script covers TIG'd to block the hole on the one side and see if i can get the oil filler spout where the cap clicks into place.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
The biggest benefit (IMO) of using the EFI valve covers is that the filler cap is on the front passengers side valve cover so filling is easier.....

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Pics

The biggest benefit (IMO) of using the EFI valve covers is that the filler cap is on the front passengers side valve cover so filling is easier.....

That is the biggest complaint I have for using my original valve covers.

The pictures show lower back to manifold manifold vacuum and the driverside to throttly body port. I had a lot of oil consumption hooked up that way. Figured it was just old engine rings, but I pulled a hose and it was full of oil. I now have the lower back opening on the EFI manifold plugged and the manifold vacuum is hooked to the fill cap. oil consumtion went down.

You can solve the fill problem by just switching the covers but right now they do not leak much so I have left tehm where they are.

Just incase you haven't been told you will need a spacer between the intakes to run the stock covers.

Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
BY comparison....... 710 cap and spout easy to get to.

Attachments

• DSCN4206.jpg
    DSCN4206.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN4207.jpg
    DSCN4207.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN4208.jpg
    DSCN4208.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN4216.jpg
    DSCN4216.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 41

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
I noticed my idle quality inproved greatly when I put the sealed style on. but I also had a vacum leak between the two intake halves so not sure if the covers or plemum gasket made more difference.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I used Ford MS valve covers. PCV valve from VC to back of upper intake and vent from Trick Flow fill to thrrottle body. I needed a 1/2" spacer between upper intake and BC adapter to barely clear. I have pics but I am having trouble loading them.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
BY comparison....... 710 cap and spout easy to get to.

I see the PCV hose connected to the tube on the oil fill tube but where is the PCV valve?
Also where does the filtered air enter into the engine?
I have a set of newer factory valve covers like those and need a hole to bring in the filtered air.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I see the PCV hose connected to the tube on the oil fill tube but where is the PCV valve?
Also where does the filtered air enter into the engine?
I have a set of newer factory valve covers like those and need a hole to bring in the filtered air.

Thats actually not the "PCV valve's" tube, its just a tube that connects from the filler neck to a port just in front of the throttle body.
The PCV valve is in the rear oil valley area of the lower manifold (see pic, hole between #'s 7 and 8) and the hose connects on the underside of the upper manifold plenum.
You can actually see it in pic 3 right above where the spark plug wire bundle comes out of the dizzy boot.

Attachments

• FordIntakeTorqueSequence.gif
    FordIntakeTorqueSequence.gif
    54.6 KB · Views: 24

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm carbed so the only access to the crankcase is the valve cover. I'll need to punch a hole in it for a grommet. Maybe I can find a PCV valve that can be run in line with the vacuum hose and connect it to the nipple on the filler neck.