• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Throttle response question

Heus33

Bronco Guru
My 90s Mustang GT EFI engine has always ran perfectly but the throttle response is extremely touchy.

Its really difficult to feather the throttle - if a normal throttle starts at "1" and goes to 100, it feels like my throttle starts at 20. I've learned to drive it like this but am wondering if there are adjustments that can be made to adjust the response.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I think it is just the standard 70mm Mustang throttlebody. Here's a picture.
00c4d0d45509036dbf09ce92b45f649c.jpg

d76102bd0e7a673ac84f5ee3a84e5c2b.jpg

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That is set up as direct acting If I am interpreting the picture correctly. The cable is supposed to wrap around the cam and then engage. This gives a more progressive throttle opening. Is that an aftermarket throttle body?

Also are you using the stock pedal? My stock pedal was too short causing it to the twitchy even with the progressive linkage. I pulled the pedal and cable from a 90's Mustang and used that.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yes, its a BBK 70mm throttle body. There's a spacer there too. I'm a noob when it comes to EFI - where is the cable supposed to wrap around?

Attachments

• 56048.jpg
    56048.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 18

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That is direct acting. You have it hooked up right. Your other option is the increase the length of the gas pedal. This will dampen the effect but you need to check for wide open throttle when done. The BBK TB is probably designed for Mustang guys trying to get to full throttle quickest! As I said I used the 90s Mustang pedal assembly it was much longer than my stock one.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Thanks mark. I'll look for a mustang pedal assembly.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Interesting - running speed density? I don't see a MAF-

Also - a longer intake tube will help with your air charge on the engine.

My pedal was touchy so I welded on a larger cam on the TB and it helped a lot - basically increased the distance from the center where the cable hooked up. Stock pedal works fine -