• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric cooling fan question?

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Please forgive my endless supply of dumb questions...on my Electric cooling fan that I installed...right now it's on the inside of the radiator (motor side) could I put it on the other side between radiator and grill? And wire it push air through?

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Should be able to, it may not push as hard as it pulls tho. Why do you want to move it if its working where it is now?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depends on the fan. I have had some aftermarket fans that had reversable blades that you can flip over and make the fan into a pusher.

It is a bit odd but cooling fans tend to work best when set up as a puller. I remember seeing fan specs somewhere once that listed the exact same fan as a puller and a pusher, as a puller it was better.

Some fans will not take running backwards. Some are diode protected (for eletrical noise) that will prevent any attempt to run backwards. Others Some electric motors are designed to work better one direction then the other (the advance of the winding like ignition advance). Some blade designs are just so bad that running them backwards just results in no meaningful airflow.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
It was just a thought to clean up the appearance of my engine bay,

Ill have to look at the details of the fan I bought it at a local little shop, the fan will push and pull depending on what wire gets power, it is the biggest fan I could get it covers 95 percent of radiator, it keeps the bronco cool, haven't tried it in real heat yet,

I couldn't find a fan shroud that wasn't super expensive so I went this route, I didn't like the fan right there spinning I was nervous with hood up and engine running.

Ill post pics after I get home tonight...

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Not sure if you checked this yet or not, but the other challenge you may have is having enough clearance to run that fan as a pusher....