• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric fan for ron davis radiator

73 bronco 347

I have a ron davis radiator and am looking for a good Electric fan to put on my bronco. Any ideas on what fan fits that is good enough to cool my bronco? The measurements on my radiator 19 3/4 x 16 3/4. I measured the fins.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a tough one '73. Might depend on what front accessory drive system you're running.
Do you have standard V-belts? How many grooves in the pullies?

Of course, it's not really the pullies themselves, as much as it is the particular water pump and how close the snout is to the radiator core. Most setups in an EB don't leave much room for a decent sized electric fan.
The biggest one we carry is a good fan, but needs at least 3" of clearance. And at 2400 cfm, it's just in the area that will work with some, but not all EB engines to stay cool.
How hot is your 347? Fuel injected or carbureted? EFI when tuned properly will often let you get away with less capacity in the cooling sector.

If that fan is in doubt, the Ford Taurus fans are highly sought after at the junkyards for this purpose. But you probably still need that 3" of clearance. Someone here will know for sure though. Plenty of them out here so wait for that confirmation.

This is why a lot of us prefer the Explorer serpentine setup to the standard v-belt or other serp setups. Gives you an additional 1/2" to 3/4" of clearance for bigger fans. And in fact it's got a mean mechanical fan and clutch that many are using instead of an electric.

Good luck. Hope that gets you looking in the right direction.

Paul

OP
OP

73 bronco 347

I am running fuel injection with a serpentine set up 3 inches might clear do you have a link you can share with me so I can look at it? Thank you

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ron Davis are thick and dense cores. The former GM is a local Bronco guy in AZ. I remember having lots of talks about cooling.

Dense cores and electric fans generally don't get along together well. The dense core needs a lot of power to move enough air through it. That is where mechanical fans rock. Most electrical fans rate CFM in free air, that is moving air without the restriction of a radiator core. About the only company that will rate fans at a rated restriction is Spal in there high performance line. Which is also what many of the OEM electric cooling fans are supplied by as well.

Now the good cooling fans need power behind them. Belt drive works great. But electrical needs a charging system that can keep up as well. Not too long ago a project at work was running 700W cooling fans. W=volts x amps. At 12V a 50A load is 600W. And you need this power at idle, above the other electrical loads that are already present and enough excess to handle the derating as the alternator gets hot.

After multiple attempts I have given up on electric cooling. Unless the complete package was designed for it from the start. From the electrical, to the radiator speced for electric fans, to the proper electric fans, and even the controller for the fans.

OP
OP

73 bronco 347

Ron Davis are thick and dense cores. The former GM is a local Bronco guy in AZ. I remember having lots of talks about cooling.

Dense cores and electric fans generally don't get along together well. The dense core needs a lot of power to move enough air through it. That is where mechanical fans rock. Most electrical fans rate CFM in free air, that is moving air without the restriction of a radiator core. About the only company that will rate fans at a rated restriction is Spal in there high performance line. Which is also what many of the OEM electric cooling fans are supplied by as well.

Now the good cooling fans need power behind them. Belt drive works great. But electrical needs a charging system that can keep up as well. Not too long ago a project at work was running 700W cooling fans. W=volts x amps. At 12V a 50A load is 600W. And you need this power at idle, above the other electrical loads that are already present and enough excess to handle the derating as the alternator gets hot.

After multiple attempts I have given up on electric cooling. Unless the complete package was designed for it from the start. From the electrical, to the radiator speced for electric fans, to the proper electric fans, and even the controller for the fans.

I am trying to take this all in but you are saying run a flex lite mechanical fan now do you recommend a fan clutch?