• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric hardtop hoist

jfdeno

Has anyone used/engineered an electric hoist for hardtop removal?
I have been looking at garage storage units sold at basic big box hardware stores and looking for pics... thank you

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I bought one of the electric hoists from Harbor Freight. I got the 880 lb hoist because if I wanted to use it for other things I had the extra power. The 440 lb lift would work for the top though. I can't remember if I had a coupon or if it was just on sale, but the 880 lb lift was only $100 when I bought it. I don't have any pictures of the top coming off but if you google early bronco hardtop lifts, you'll run across plenty of pics.

Specracer

I went a slightly different direction. I just got one of these (a cable boat trailer winch), through a pulley attached to the joists. Then winch is simply lagged to a stud. Cheap and easy and worked for me

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 17

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bought a HF 1100 lb hoist, on sale with a 25% off coupon. Attached it to 1.5 inch box steel 10 ft long and that to a 10 ft long 4X4 run perpendicular across reinforced rafters. It all sits up in the attic of the garage. Then I installed another access panel below it. I used it to lift the top off, the entire body off the frame, and to hoist the body dolly up to the ceiling to keep it out of the way when not using it. It plugs into the garage door opener outlet and the controls hang down through the access panel when I'm using it. When I'm not, it's all tucked away and whatever I've lifted is attached to eye-bolts with chain or HF ratchet straps. Sorry, it's AZ and 110 outside. Not willing to crawl up there at the moment to take a picture of it.

Attachments

• rsz_img_4986.jpg
    rsz_img_4986.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3303.JPG
    IMG_3303.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited: