• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric tank selector valve fuel swithc

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Rookie dumb question.... I've read the installation instructions from WH on the Electric Fuel Selector a few times, but I'm stumped. Please forgive my ignorance.

Instructions say Original OEM wire to Fuel Gauge (from the top center terminal of the stock Fuel Selector Switch to the Fuel Gauge ) - What color is that OEM wire?

Looking at the back of the stock Fuel Gauge I have the Orange wire with 90 degree boot and the Black w/white.

Is there another wire that I am looking to tie into the stock fuel selector switch or should I run a jumper from the Fuel Selector Switch to the positive terminal of the Fuel Gauge (that has the orange 90 degree boot)?

(I have a 1972 Bronco with Main and Aux Tanks)

Thank you.

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Steve, I appreciate your help, but I am at a loss.
My electric fuel pump runs as you described in your diagram. I actually followed your diagram when I wired the Carter Electric Pump after installing the Sherman tank.

I just want to know what wire goes from the stock OEM Fuel Quantity Gauge to the Fuel Selector Switch. I am not seeing any other wires other than the Yellow w/white Aux Tank Sender Wire & the Orange wire with 90 degree Boot on that is connected to the Fuel Quantity Gauge.

IF anyone can dumb it down a few levels for me, greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, I'll put a jumper from the fuel quantity gauge to the center terminal of the fuel quantity switch.

EDIT: I found another diagram. I believe my issue is, disregard the Orange 286A that has the 90 degree boot that connects to the fuel gauge, since that terminates at the rear/main fuel tank and is reading nothing, since a new orange wire was run from the new fuel tank to the fuel switch.

So I guess, disconnect 286A at the gauge, and run a dedicated jumper from Fuel Gauge to Fuel Select Switch. Will update if this solves the problem. I cannot see it being any other way.

Directions are a bit misleading since it says use OEM wire to gauge for the center top terminal of the Fuel Selector Switch. We shall see.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're on the right track. The Black w/white wire is the power-in from the instrument voltage regulator. The Orange is the signal-out to the switch (or direct to the tank in the case of a single tank).

All Broncos (not sure about the very first '66 models) had the wiring ready for dual tanks, even if they came with only one. So your Orange wire ran down to near the switch area on the dash and has another 90° connector.
This connector either attached directly to the wire coming from the sending unit at the tank, or a shorter jumper wire to the dash mounted gauge switch.

If it hasn't been modified, you should see what's needed up there somewhere.

Good luck.

Paul

dprio34

Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Paul, Thanks a million for that. I don't believe anything has been modified or cut. Just the OEM jumper wire from the gauge to the switch is missing.

I triple checked under the dash for a 2nd Orange wire. I un-did all the black tape and just the one Orange wire with 90 boot was all I could find (and nothing with a spade connection that would match the switch). The only Orange wire runs through the fire wall and down the frame rail to the main tank. It is connected to nothing since I bought a new tank and ran new wire for the main tank fuel sender to fuel select switch.

IF anyone has any pics of the actual OE setup, (select switch to fuel gauge wire), I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good pic Steve, thanks!
And welcome to classicbroncos too!

Paul

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Paul, Thanks a million for that. I don't believe anything has been modified or cut. Just the OEM jumper wire from the gauge to the switch is missing.

I triple checked under the dash for a 2nd Orange wire. I un-did all the black tape and just the one Orange wire with 90 boot was all I could find (and nothing with a spade connection that would match the switch). The only Orange wire runs through the fire wall and down the frame rail to the main tank. It is connected to nothing since I bought a new tank and ran new wire for the main tank fuel sender to fuel select switch.

IF anyone has any pics of the actual OE setup, (select switch to fuel gauge wire), I'd love to see it.

Thanks.
I don't have a picture but I have several switches with a single plug with 6 wires. They are from Ford pickups. Part #C1TF-9A050-A2. I collected them when I used to go shopping. They have the stock chrome bezels that have "Fuel tank", Main and Auxiliary. They appear to be the same as the one on my 72. I have mine hooked up to a Standard Products electric changeover valve with no relays. PM me a number and I will send you a picture.