• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Guru 3G/4G help please

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I converted my 74 to a 3G Alt several years ago then swapped that for the Explorer serp 4G. I'm cleaning up my engine bay and have had everything apart for several months so I'm not sure exactly what I did when I converted it. I want to be sure I'm getting it done correctly now. On the large Black wire and Black/Red wire (I think its a red stripe its very faded) that goes through the Plug on the Passenger side fender skirt and makes the loop through the Ammeter, what is the best way to handle this wire loop? Should it just loop back and be connected to the starter relay on both ends? I believe I had it terminated at one end before and used the factory fusible link on the one connected to the relay. If both ends should be connected, can I run both through the same fusible link or should each end have its own link? Alternatively, is it Ok to only have the loop connected at one end since its all the same wire? The original Diagram shows one end connected to the original Alternator and the other end going to the factory regulator. I hope I'm making it clear what I'm asking.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Connect both ends through fusible links to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Lots of multi-leg fusible links in the wrecking yards. 16 gauge is good. Connect alt BAT terminal directly to battery or solenoid too with 6 gauge or bigger cable. That can be found in a yard too.