• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Help - Gauge Cluster works on IGN, but not with engine running

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Just got a Bronco. One of the first chores was to hookup the gauge cluster, so I pulled the driver seat, laid down a towel, donned the head lamp and slid up under there. Got everything plugged in after 20' or so and was feeling pretty grand about life. 2 of the 5 bulbs were burned out, but no worries, I've deep pockets and can afford to replace them!

Sadly though, as soon as I started the engine to take it for a spin around the block, the gauges and blinker indicators stopped working, as did the wipers.

So, with key in ignition, everything seems to work as it should. Cluster lights come on, gauges move around, blinker indicators work fine.

Start it up, gauge background lights stay on, but gauges don't work (maybe the voltmeter still does, can't remember) and also wipers won't work.

Any ideas what the issue might be? One thing is that the cluster has a metal strap for what I believe is an alternator wire. That black/yellow stripe wire has a rubber connection with male/female plug. Does the female end of that have to go inside the little metal strap on the back of the gauge cluster? It didn't seem to want to fit, so I just plugged the connection in.

Thanks for any help!

ol gray mare

I would suspect the ignition switch. Try turning the switch back toward off just a little, not enough to turn it off. When you hit start, the switch shuts other functions down to direct all power to starting. I know on mine, I have to be careful to give mine a little twist back, or my signals, brake lights, radio etc. won't work. Jim

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
black/yellow wire goes through the loop on ammeter.get it wrong,ammeter will show dis-charge even thoug it is charging.cluster lights won't come on unless headlite sw is pulled out to atleast turn on parking lites.sounds like some wireing issues and maybe ign switch.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Here is a photo of the backside of the gauge cluster that might be helpful. The black/yellow wire just runs through the metal bracket. (you can't seem the yellow stripe on the wire in the photo, it just looks all black). Does it need to be help in place firmly with that bracket? I don't know if its there to provide some sort of ground, or just to help organize the wire.

I'll play around with the ignition switch as well. I'm guessing the fix there would be to just buy a new one, huh?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
when the wire goes through the loop,it sesces a magnetic field hence current flow.the your ammeter will show charge or discharge.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Sorry I'm slow, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. The wire does run through the loop, is that correct? Or should the male or female rubber connector be pushed behind the metal bracket to secure it? I thought that was how it should go, but it didnt want to seem to fit.

Thanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Sorry I'm slow, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. The wire does run through the loop, is that correct? Or should the male or female rubber connector be pushed behind the metal bracket to secure it? I thought that was how it should go, but it didnt want to seem to fit.

Thanks.
That's not just a "metal bracket". That is the input for the ammeter. Current flow throught the black, and black/yellow wire induce a voltage in that "bracket", and that's what makes the ammeter work. You have it installed correctly.

Those black, and the black/yellow wires are what power the entire Bronco. One end starts at a fusable link which is connected at the BAT+ side of the starter solenoid. Comes into the passenger compartment where several splices into that wire provide power to pretty much everything, then leaves the passenger compartment and ends at the output of the alternator.

The ammeter is on the battery side of all the splices, so that it indicates the amount and direction of current flow, either into the battery (charging = +) or out of the battery (discharging = -).