• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical/ignition/starter/battery problem

HigginsHorse

Last time I tried to start my bronco, the ignition switch got hung up and would not stop. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I have replaced the ignition switch. I tried to hook up the battery today but got a shock instead. I don't know if this matters or not, but I hooked up the positive side first and then when I went to hook up the Negative side I got a pretty good arch on the battery.(enough to disfigure the post a little). I didn't cross the wires to the battery, double-checked that before I tried to connect it. The starter didn't turnover so I don't think the starter is hung up (I could be wrong). Did I cross some wires when connecting the ignition switch. If I remember correctly the plug that connects to the ignition switch only fits one way so I don't think that is it. The key was not on or even in the ignition.
Any suggestions.
HigginsHorse

B

bert

The solenoid could be stuck. Try disconnecting the starter cable from the solenoid and see if you still get a spark.
If you don't, touch the starter cable to the solenoid post if came off of, if it sparks there the solenoid is stuck. Also the starter should try to turn. If the starter does not try to turn it may be jammed up.
If you do get a spark at the battery post with the starter cable undone, the problem is elsewhere.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Thanks

Thanks. That's the thought process I was leaning toward, but hearing it makes a little more sense. If the selonoid is stuck, is there a way to get it unstuck? Same question for the starter?
HH

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There might be a way to get it unstuck, but the best way to do it is to toss it in the nearest garbage can and install the new one that you're going to get. Hah!
I'm only half joking really. If your solenod stuck once, it's got "issues" and can do it again. So don't mess with it, toss it.
IMHO anyway.
Good luck though. I hope it's as simple as a stuck solenoid.

Paul