• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical problem signals

croft75

I have read a few threads and hope I haven’t wasted money on an eBay NOS signal switch.

Sooo I foolishly hooked a stereo amp to the lighter as a power source , it’s been hooked up a couple of years and hasn’t been an issue until I put a larger fuse than 14 amp in the fuse box , I know!
Well the wires on the hazard switch fried , I pulled the steering wheel and it obviously got melted. So I found a NOS switch and bought it.
while waiting for it I removed the amp from the lighter and ran direct to wire with fuse , all wiring now is stock.
New switch came looked good and like new . Installed switch now
- hazards work
- all lights work
- items on 14 amp fuse work windshield washers etc
Blinkers do not work , have installed a new flasher module also tried using hazard flasher with no change, there is power at the flasher module it lights my test light bright on orange wire and dull on the other side?
I have jumped across the 2 and nothing.
With brakes on if I switch from side to side the brake light goes out?
Sorry for the long question.
Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Rangerbj

First, I'm no expert.

Some times the signal switch mechanism isn't good, even on new parts. The little flat springs don't touch correctly.

Are you sure you got the correct wires matched up at that multi wire connector as it comes out of column. I used Tom's Bronco Parts instructions. Due to the changes in wire colors from different years, this is very important conversion chart to have.

I'd also check to be sure all burnt wires have been replaced.

Also, good grounds are a must.

Good luck

OP
OP
C

croft75

First, I'm no expert.

Some times the signal switch mechanism isn't good, even on new parts. The little flat springs don't touch correctly.

Are you sure you got the correct wires matched up at that multi wire connector as it comes out of column. I used Tom's Bronco Parts instructions. Due to the changes in wire colors from different years, this is very important conversion chart to have.

I'd also check to be sure all burnt wires have been replaced.

Also, good grounds are a must.

Good luck

wires matched original and were replaced 1by 1 so they match, I hate electrical :)