• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical/Wiper Problem--Newbie needs Help!

pclancy

Loc.
Washington DC
I'm a newbie, and am often at loss when it comes to Bronco issues. I have a 69 with a 302.

The wipers stop working one day. So did my turn signals. On the turn signals, I replaced the fuse with a 14 amp fuse and they now work fine.

But the wipers won't work. Plus, there's a strange clicking noise--very faint and rhythmic--and you can see that the gauge cluster light dims and alternator needle dips every so slightly and very briefly when it clicks.

Are the two problems connected? Is that a regulator problem somewhere?

How do I go about diagnosing and fixing the problems?

Many thanks, guys, for your continuing help.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
First place I would look is at the negative post of the battery. You need a large battery cable going to the engine block and at least a Number 10 wire going from that negative post to the body. I would use a larger cable like #6. but a 10 will do on a Stock Bronco. Make sure the connection points are clean metal. When battery cables are replaced some people don't replace the body grounds and that causes issues as the body is hunting for ground through the drive train connection.

OP
OP
P

pclancy

Loc.
Washington DC
Thank you Rusty truck. Do you really think that's why the wipers no longer work (but everything else does) and why I get a tiny clicking sound/pulse?

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Thank you Rusty truck. Do you really think that's why the wipers no longer work (but everything else does) and why I get a tiny clicking sound/pulse?
Sounds like either a relay or the motor trying to go or not, follow and check all the wires from the wiper switch, including the fuse box

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Disconnect the square-ish plug for the wipers near the motor and see if the clicking goes away. The ammeter fluctuating each time you hear the click means that whatever is doing it is pulling power and then stopping, like a circuit breaker opening and closing on a fault.

And speaking of that, just for giggles and even though it's not on the same circuit, reach under the dash and feel the headlight switch to make sure it's not clicking. It's got a built-in circuit-breaker so might be something to look at.

Does it do all this only when the engine is running?
Or will it make the noise and pulse the ammeter with the key in RUN and/or will it do it with the key in ACC?

Power to the wipers and turn signals comes from the ignition switch accessory circuit, but only the TS works on a fuse (F2 in the diagrams), while the wipers are direct I think. Maybe they've got a built-in circuit-breaker too, as part of the PARK circuit.

Also, while you're messing around... With the battery disconnected pull the two rectangular connectors on the firewall apart. The ones right behind the engine where all the wires in the world are located can get dirty and corroded and loose. Pull 'em apart, clean 'em if you can, and put 'em back together. See if that helps.

I don't know if a bad alternator can click, but a bad voltage regulator of the old style (they have breaker points in them like a distributor) can. And if you've got one of those, it's very possible that could be causing a part of the issue too.

Good luck. I'm sure I'm overlooking many things, so maybe Viperwolf will chime in if he has a chance.

Paul

OP
OP
P

pclancy

Loc.
Washington DC
We are getting closer to the problem, I think. To respond to Dirtdonk:

The pulse/clicking happens in either ACC, ignition on, or when the engine is running. You can even hear it--it makes a very small "doink" sound. You can feel something pulsing by holding your finger on the wiper motor switch.

I reached in and felt the headlight switch and could not feel it clicking.

I will take it to my mechanic tomorrow morning. I assume the wiper motor or switch has a circuit breaker of some sort that is going off and on?

Any other tips?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is your top and wiper cover on, or can you see the wiper motor? If you can, it's easy enough (with strong fingers that is) to pull the plug and isolate the motor.
If it's not, then it's a bit of time with a screwdriver to get the wiper cover off.

Interesting that you can feel it in the wiper switch though. I thought they were just regular rotary switches with nothing to click, but maybe yours has gone bye-bye but is only partway out the door at this point. Could be a contact that's opening and closing on it's own.

Good luck. Let us know what you and the mechanic find.
Oh, and did you at least make sure that the voltage regulator is not clicking too? Not that it's usually related to what you're experiencing of course, but at least worth checking out as it's only an open hood away.

Paul