• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electro-mechanical cooling fan idea

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A friend just swapped out the fan clutch on his 5.9 cummins Dodge. It is one of those fancy eletronicly controlled fan clutches and not just the bi-metalic spring on the front. Since I am always the tinkerer he gave it to me to think about how it might work.

I got it home, looked it over, pulled the spare new 5.0 Explorer waterpump I have on the shelf. Well what do you know, it threads on there. This fan clutch is toast so it won't be used. But for mock-up purposes it might be good. It is a HUGE clutch. I don't have a fan for it. I have no idea what the 5 wires do either. I don't have any wiring details for it.

But it does give me some ideas for a clutched cooling fan

Attachments

• P3240782.jpg
    P3240782.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 32

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some of the wires are temp sender then speed control I guess it can vary fan speed according to temp. From what I understand the dodge PCM may not power up when the fan clutch is bad. Basically the PCM controls the fan speed based upon various inputs. It would be interesting but at $200+ a pop it might not be to bronco friendly.