• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency Brake relocation ideas

gregdebkids

Loc.
Visalia, CA
I am rebuilding my 74, and will be installing a full roll cage. The problem I have involves the location of the e-brake, as it is next to the clutch, and sometimes, I just want to use both pedals while I am also using my other foot for something else. I have a center console, so a hand brake from a newer Mustang or Porsche isn't ideal. Thinking of old school Mustang/falcon/F100 umbrella handle style. Anyone tried this? Thoughts? Kits? 40 years ago, I would have installed a line lock - course 40years ago it would be a bracket racer, but....

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I used a hand lever out of a Fiero. Put it on the inboard side of the driver's seat. I'm unlikely to need to shift and diddle with the parking brake at the same time.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The Fiero part is designed to fit between the driver's seat and the driver's door. Mine is mounted a bit forward of the seat, but the 8" (?) Tuffy fits just fine.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
using a BMX bike peg on my project rig to get around the leg of the cage

Attachments

• enhance36JG332V.jpg
    enhance36JG332V.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 105
  • enhanceKOC8R7ZT.jpg
    enhanceKOC8R7ZT.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 75

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Why not just redrill the hole in the dash and move the original eb rake over a little or are you determined to go hand brake?

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I moved it over slightly and swapped the ebrake pad for my old clutch pad as I switched to automatic anyway. Worked fine.

OP
OP
G

gregdebkids

Loc.
Visalia, CA
Why not just redrill the hole in the dash and move the original eb rake over a little or are you determined to go hand brake?

Well, I guess the real issue lies with the fact I have to put my foot on the e-brake while pulling the release handle in order to get it to release... If I push the pedal enough to hold on a hill, it has too much pressure to release with the little pull lever dealy, and without my foot on the pedal, a horrible slamming noise that frightens any passengers and small, domesticated animals nearby. So, now while actually typing the real issue, I wonder if the mechanism requires some lubrication, or if there is some sort of adjustment... huh... I have had this for 25 years, and I just don't think I can wait 25 more to get it right. Now I am confused.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I don't recall the year but I had a work van that released the e-brake by stepping down on the pedal with no t-handle. Pretty sure it was a ford van. Now that would be a nice upgrade.