• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Enclosed car trailer suggestions wanted

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
I'm considering getting an enclosed car trailer for my Early Bronco trail rig. I would need something wide -- although I'm not currently running full-width axles, I do have a 79 Ford Dana 60 front end and a Dana 70 rear end out in the barn awaiting funds and time for the modifications.
Since I want to install a small kitchen and bathroom up front, what size and brand do you suggest? Thanks for your ideas. Doc

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
Featherlite, lite weight (alum) and make alot of different styles of car/truck haulers. They are not the cheapest on the block though. I have one and love it for long hauls.

But you need to watch your height also. Most are the width due to the DOT standard.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I've been looking into them also. Seems only the trailers with the raised decks (above wheels) will work. I plan on adding a kitchen and swing down beds also. The other day I was at the Ford dealer and you can buy a large cargo truck cheap. This way its all in one. I was thinking of selling my F350 and camper (already sold the heavy ass trailer) and getting one. My driveway is small so if I was to do this I gain 2 stalls in the driveway and one in the garage. No need for the Bronco to be in the garage if its in the cargo truck. Unless I'm working on it of course ;D

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Hey Doc see if there are any custom trailer mfg's in your area. I had mine built by a local company here in CA named Universal Trailers. They were able to build everything pretty much to my specifications. I have a build-up thread for it over on the Pirate board where I documented everything from researching the company through my trailer's build, to using it and doing a few mods to it myself. Even though you're probably too far away to use the same manufacturer, there's a lot of info in that thread that you may find useful. You can check the thread out at http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271944.

Incidentally, I am also currently doing a full-width build, with a D60 up front and 40" MTR's. I intend to continue to use my trailer, as it will still fit inside. I'll have to either swap a set of skinnies onto the front of the EB before loading it, or fabricate a ramp over the fenders and remove the fold-down sofa and dinette, but it will still fit.

One last bit of advice, which I had repeated several times in my build thread, you must resist the urge to just buy a toyhauler trailer. They're NOT built the same as an enclosed car hauler trailer. While they will haul around a few quads for years without problems, I'm highly suspicious of their longevity over many years of hauling a trail-ready 4X4 down bumpy access roads. Get a trailer that was designed as a heavy duty vehicle hauler first, not as a travel trailer first that just happens to have a ramp door on the back.

Good luck!

Dusty

DSCN9637.jpg

OP
OP
DocLewis

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
mtnkraus said:
Featherlite, lite weight (alum) and make alot of different styles of car/truck haulers. They are not the cheapest on the block though. I have one and love it for long hauls.

Yes, I'm considering the light weight aluminum ones so that I don't overburdent my F250. Doc

OP
OP
DocLewis

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
68 Broncoholic said:
I've been looking into them also. Seems only the trailers with the raised decks (above wheels) will work. I plan on adding a kitchen and swing down beds also. The other day I was at the Ford dealer and you can buy a large cargo truck cheap. This way its all in one. I was thinking of selling my F350 and camper (already sold the heavy ass trailer) and getting one. My driveway is small so if I was to do this I gain 2 stalls in the driveway and one in the garage. No need for the Bronco to be in the garage if its in the cargo truck. Unless I'm working on it of course ;D

Exactly my plans, but some have told me (Drew & Lou Levy) that one can get the trailer already set up with the kitchen much cheaper than you can source the parts yourself. But, I might have access to a wrecked camper trailer so maybe the parts would not be that difficult to obtain nor that expensive. I also plan to store the Bronco in the cargo trailer rather than the garage -- need the space for other projects. Doc

OP
OP
DocLewis

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
Dusty said:
I have a build-up thread for it over on the Pirate board where I documented everything from researching the company through my trailer's build, to using it and doing a few mods to it myself. Even though you're probably too far away to use the same manufacturer, there's a lot of info in that thread that you may find useful. You can check the thread out at http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271944.

I'm reviewing the materials that you and others posted on Pirate. Thanks for the link and the advice. I have seen the "toy" haulers and had the same concern that you voiced -- not built heavy enough for a fully loaded 4x4 vehicle. Doc

OP
OP
DocLewis

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
Dusty said:
Hey Doc see if there are any custom trailer mfg's in your area.

Dusty, I read all four pages of your postings on Pirate and ran all the links to any other manufacturer that folks mentioned. I came across Forrest River Trailers and we have a dealer here locally. They have a 2005 used 28' with front kitchen & bath.
What are your thoughts on the Work and Play models from Forrest River? I'm gonna driver up there this afternoon and take a look at it. If it is anything like what the owner described, I am considering trading my Class A RV for it.
Thanks for your input! Doc

PaulC

Hey Doc.

there's another thread here on CB that has some pertinent info, I posted some links a while back to several models of trailers, do a search for 'featherlite' and look at the second search return.

I found that the Work and Play bumper-pull tailers have the length and width in some of their floorplans, but not the height for most trail rigs (its only 6ft4in). my rig is short and I had to let out all the air in the tires and it fit by a hair. and with squishy tires it was heck to get it in and out straight. so no way, you need to look for 7ft interior height.

the Work and Play has 2 models of gooseneck or 5th wheel that will fit a Bronco, but the trailer itself weighs 10,000 lbs before adding ANY items, like water, supplies, and the Bronco. ouch.

Paul
Austin, Tx.

OP
OP
DocLewis

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
PaulC said:
Hey Doc, there's another thread here on CB that has some pertinent info, I posted some links a while back to several models of trailers, do a search for 'featherlite' and look at the second search return.

Thanks, Paul, I'll do that search here in just a couple of minutes. I'm taking the Bronco to the camper place this afternoon so maybe..... Doc

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
Thanks Tom,
I am very please with how heavy duty the trailer is...It wieghs in at 7300lbs empty...And the cost wasn't much more than a tag, and pulls WAY better, plus I get better milage pulling the goose, than I do pulling my buddy's 24' tag that wieghs 3800 lbs..I don't know if they have dealers in your area, I had to pic mine up in Elkhardt Indiana...TNTrailers can build just about anything you want..I can give you info on the guy that ordered mine if you want...Tell him I sent you, and he might make you a better deal...Cash also gives you a better deal...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Some one else just ask a question like this ...in our town Stephenvile TX
we have a mfg that is rather large called OUTLAW CONVERSION 254-968-5733
they make trailer like this ...if you can dream it up they make it .......