• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine build question

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Had a 347 stroker built from a 5.0 roller motor. Is it necessary to change the distributor and change the ignition module if it cranks and runs now? I'm getting advice to get a pro billet distributor and an MSD ignition module. With as much as I have invested in this build, I hate to throw another $700 to $800 in it.

Randy

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My first thought is "no"

You said it starts and runs right? Just be sure drive gear on end of distributor shaft is compatible with the cam gear that drives it.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
My opinion is no you don't need the added bling.
If your distributor is from the roller motor that you built, it (the gear) should be fine.
Just my 2cents

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Thanks for the info and advice. I'm wanting to spend the spare money for sheet metal body parts.

Randy

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I'm told that it sounds like a vehicle at the dirt dragsÂ…no mufflers on the long tube headers. Just ready for it to be done and home!! Now that I'm retired, it's time to get busy.

Randy

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 347 has stock duraspark dizzy with msd for controller. No brainer fun.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Had recently a msd pro billet run ready die on my 77 bronco circuit board in the bottom of dist went out to fix you have to send it back to MSD . Most all MSD 8352 dist are sent out from the factory with a cast iron gear which is good for flat tapped engine but not correct for a 5.0 hyd roller needs a billet steel gear that what I have been told . MSD are big bucks now not sure if it's worth it .

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Had recently a msd pro billet run ready die on my 77 bronco circuit board in the bottom of dist went out to fix you have to send it back to MSD . Most all MSD 8352 dist are sent out from the factory with a cast iron gear which is good for flat tapped engine but not correct for a 5.0 hyd roller needs a billet steel gear that what I have been told . MSD are big bucks now not sure if it's worth it .

Big $$ indeed! Best price I've found for the dizzy, controller and coil set is $850. As I said earlier, that will pay for a heap of sheet metal. Lol

Randy