• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine builders ??

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
Engine builders school me on strokers just got done looking on Summit and there was like 60+ rotating assemblies ranging from 750 up too 2000.

I know you get what you pay for so cheaper is not always better. but 2 grand or more is well over my cash flow.

all I'm looking for is descent power torque combo in a daily driver longevity and reliability for my 150k plus 92 t-bird 5.0 ho.

Any incite info is gratefully welcome

websites or other as well would work.

BTW the stroker im thinking is a 347 EFI.

Thanks James

buckintone

Loc.
Carlsbad
Spend the same amount and convert to a 351w, its a superior engine in almost every way. A 347 will push the 302 block to its breaking point.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
start with 351w and just freshen it up gaskets and rings and bearings valve job you'll save money in the end and be happier. If your stuck on the stroker for the 302 do the 327 from speedway motors

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think you really need to sit down and lok at what you want to spend on your engine. Most of the lower priced stroker kits are fine. But it doesnt end there some decent heads should be part of any stroker build IMO. So add up machine work stroker kit and heads and see what you come up with. Of course in most cases it really doesnt cost much more to buy a stroker kit than it does to do a stock rebuild. Its just the rest of the stuff you should run with a stroker kit that costs.
I would also suggest looking at just swapping to a 351 its already bigger than the stroker and its all stock for less work.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
351W. Aftermarket Iron heads ~$500 pr. Find a truck EFI lower distributor, BC Broncos manifold adapter and run your 5.0 MAF EFI on that engine.

Now you don't need a stroker motor.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You really can't compare just the close cubic inch relationship between these two motors. If you've driven both you'll soon realize that the 347 is much peppier than the 351W. This is partly because of the lesser weight in the rotating assembly of the 302 based motor. In my opinion, the 351 crank is unnecessarily large. But it all depends on how you plan to drive the car. The 351 with the added flywheel effect of its big crank has better low end torque. Have you looked at the 331 stroker kits?

ffhend26

Loc.
Henderson
Don't forget some afr heads. They are a little bit of money but my 165s really woke up my rebuild in just a 30 over 302 if you don't go the stroker route or even if you do

360 4V

If you want to stroke it now then you will really want to stroke it again. I would get a 351W and then when you want to go bigger stroke it to a 400. Stroking the 351W comes down to getting a set of stock compression heigth 302 pistons, stock 351W connecting rods and a stroker crankshaft with stock 351W journals. Now you have the longer crank throws. You could go even larger by grinding down the rod journals. You would have to find a connecting rod that fit the new rod journal diameter.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just did all the math on this 351 vs 302 vs 5.0.

Unless you buy a beefed up 5.0 block such as a Ford Boss or Sportsman or Dart, avoid doing a stroker. Then you have to clearance for stroker. Yes, a stock 302 block will work, yes many have done it fine, but they just plain won't last on average (some have). Also agree if you do a stroker, go with popular names, they are popular for a reason, SCAT, EAGLE, etc...

Now, if you go 351, you can build the same cubic inches including edelbrock heads for what stroker costs. Yes, you will probably need a body lift, a fewother odds and ends, but in the end you'll have a motor which will give you the same HP, higher TQ, cooler running, and 150,000 miles to boot.

Now, a 351 does weigh more, so if you stay all iron top end, expect that to add about 200lbs to the front of the frame. If you go all aluminum, that 351 weighs the same as the original 302.

To me, by adding lightness, you get HP.

OP
OP
B

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
From the sounds of it almost all are leaning toward the 351W. I am not one for doing things two or three times so I'm thinking I need to be looking for a low to mid mileage 351W to build. Do it once and do it right..

On that thought with the 351 should i change my front shocks ? last summer i put in a 2.5 S.L. on from T.B.P. single shock on etch corner

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Shocks should be fine. Add another vote for the 351W, you'll love the torque.

Ranchtruck

If you're willing to spend the money on stroker 302, you'd be much happier spending that money on a stroker 351w. Get good heads either way. Aluminum heads will help soak up the 60lb difference between the two engines. Just say to yourself... Do I want a 347 or a 408ci engine in my Bronco?

I can see doing a 302 if you were putting it in a car that didn't have space for a 351w, but you don't have that issue with a Bronco.

OP
OP
B

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
and since I am thinking EFI what would be better old block or a new roller block ? efficient and longevity is what im mostly after and the torque

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Having built a 351W, and doing a stroker 5.0 for a different project (that a 351W would not fit), get a 351W. The 351W has much stouter everything; block, crank, rods, main bolts, rod bolts, head bolts. There was a lot of engineering and improvments that ford engineered into the 351 that you just can't do to a 5.0 block

Once you see the differences, the 302 looks like a kiddie toy.

360 4V

Rule numero uno in engine building is always build the engine larger first!

In the old days it involved taking a stock crankshaft and grinding the rod journals down thereby lengthening the stroke.

The other way was even more expensive: take a cast steel crankshaft, cut the rod journals out, weld more steel on to the crank throws making them longer and welding new rod journals in. The modified, welded crankshaft had to be heat treated in a furnace so that the molecules align properly. Other processes involve cryogenically freezing the product. Either way, just welding is not good enough as the heat that penetrates the metal for a weld breaks the milecular alignment.

The new way is to buy a crankshaft with longer throws and sock rod journals for use with stock connecting rods.

It is important to not that stock 302 pistons have shorter compression heigths than stock 351W pistons and that stock 302 pistons cost less than "stroker pistons".

The recipe:
-stroker crankshaft with stock 351W rod journals
-stock 351W connecting rods
-stock 302 pistons ( last time I checked hyperuetic pistons cost the same as cast-aluminum)

There are Fox body Mustangs out there with 460s; I mean 540s.

On my current 351W build the final assembled quench was not even accross the cylinders. My machinist said that this is consistant with stock Ford engines. I had the block decked as even as my machinist could get it. He said that there would be no measureable differences between all of my running cylinders now.

I did not balance my engine and maybe I should. I bring this up because you come seeking adice on your engine and I don't want anything left on the table. We want your engine to be excellent.

360 4V

The good blocks were manufactured with C9-D4 casting numbers, '69-74 model years.

OP
OP
B

broncojames

Loc.
Smelterville ID
say i go 351 as I'm thinking now. should i stay stock with a little more performance since iv got a NV3550 kit waiting for instal ? or can the 3550 handle say a 408 or smaller stroke almost thinking stock. right ?